World Heritage Volunteers 2015 and #unite4heritage
We have the pleasure to announce the launch of a common action of the UNESCO #UNITE4HERITAGE campaign in synergy with the World Heritage Volunteers 2015.
The common action aims to encourage youth from Arab States to take part in one of ten selected World Heritage Volunteers Action Camps spread all around the world.
#UNITE4HERITAGE social media campaign emerged in response to unprecedented attacks on the Arab region’s cultural diversity and heritage. The intentional destruction of ancient sites and the looting of cultural objects in Iraq and Syria are examples of intolerance, hatred and violations of human and cultural rights. The #UNITE4HERITAGE campaign seeks to counter this propagation of hatred with messages of unity, tolerance and solidarity. It aims to show that diversity has always been and remains today a strength for all societies. To defend our common heritage and diversity today will build peace tomorrow.
The World Heritage Volunteers (WHV), an initiative within the framework of the UNESCO World Heritage Education Programme, seeks to mobilize and involve young people and youth organizations in World Heritage preservation and promotion. WHV provides opportunities for young people to carry out hands-on activities, gain basic skills in preventive conservation, preservation and work with communities in and around World Heritage sites
Youth action to protect cultural heritage for future generations is urgent and indispensable especially in the light of real threats by those that consider heritage a target for destruction. Cultural heritage is a way to know our past, understand our present and protect our future. World Heritage Volunteers Action Camps is a chance to engage with this spirit. Young people, who constitute 25% of the world’s population, are important partners and stakeholders.
Their actions to promote and protect heritage favours intercultural understanding, respect for cultural diversity and helps create an environment propitious to a culture of peace. We invite you to spread the word and apply by June 28th at midnight.
To participate, please fill in the on-line application form
and submit it by 28th June 2015 at midnight.
Kindly note that in the application form you should prioritize your choice of the Youth Action Camp from the list provided, taking in consideration the dates, especially if you have to obtain a visa (depending on your country or nationality and the country chosen).
Selected candidates will be informed via email, and will be asked to confirm their participation in return. More detailed information and arrangements for the action camps will be sent afterwards.
Following the Action Camp, and upon their return to their country, participants are expected to share their experience and, as much as possible, look into the possibility of replicating the activity in their home country.
Costs included for Accepted Candidates
The following costs are covered by the organizer:
- Travel costs (flight ticket, terminal fees, airport tax, visa, local transport)
- Registration and participation fees (meals and accommodation, materials and entrance fees to sites).
- Travel insurance and medical coverage.
Note that other costs not mentioned above will be the responsibility of the participant.
Criteria of Selection of participants
Candidates should have the following profile:
- Age between 18 and 30 years old.
- National of any of following countries: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syrian Arab Republic, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen.
- Reside in one of the countries listed above. Candidates living in a different country are accepted if they have been living abroad for less than four years.
- Interested in and/or have experience in heritage conservation or education or management or development projects or volunteerism.
- Knowledge of English.
- Able to stay the entire period of the Action Camp.
- Have communication skills, be able to work in a team and have community spirit.
- Have valid document and passport to apply for a visa and travel to the country of the Action Camp they choose. (See table in annex).
- Preferably be member of a Youth Organization.
Calendar of Action Camps included in the Action
Candidates have to choose by priority three Action Camps in the application form. Candidates should be aware that in applying they accept to attend the complete duration of the Action Camp, except for the project in the Philippines, where the candidates should participate for at least 10 days within the duration of the project (15 May 2015 – 30 August 2015).
 According to UNESCO regional división, Arab countries are: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syrian Arab Republic, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates and Yemen.
 Since its launch in 2008, more than 3000 volunteers have taken part in the 219 WHV action camps carried out in over 60 World Heritage sites by 52 local organizations and NGOs in 46 countries.