Periodic Reporting LAC Second Cycle (2013)
The preliminary process was implemented in cooperation with some Regional Offices (Lima, Quito22 , Montevideo, Guatemala, Costa Rica and Havana), and some of the Category 2 Centres approved by the General Conference in October 2009 (35 C/20).
In compliance with Decision 31COM11D.1, Para 7 - Christchurch, 2007, where the relevance of Outstanding Universal Value Statements is recognized for all World Heritage processes, States Parties were asked for the preparation of all Statements which had not been approved by the Committee in their respective territories prior to the launch of the Second Cycle of Periodic Reporting in their Region, in cooperation with the World Heritage Centre and the Advisory Bodies.
With the purpose of achieving the objectives of the World Heritage Committee, and bearing in mind that the official launch of the Second Cycle of Periodic Reporting is in 2011, the LAC Unit of the World Heritage Centre (WHC) established the following timeline for 2009-2013:
The following sub-regional meetings held in 2010 and scheduled for 2011, included the participation of Focal Points of natural and cultural properties inscribed on the World Heritage List, site managers, Regional and national authorities, senior officials responsible for protecting and managing cultural and natural heritage sites in the sub-region, Advisory Bodies (ICOMOS, IUCN and ICCROM), in addition to the staff of the two Category 2 Centres and Regional Offices of UNESCO.
The objectives of these meetings were:
- Develop the preparation of the Second Cycle of the Periodic Reporting Exercise;
- Discuss the programmes and activities to be implemented in the Region until 2013;
- Train managers and Focal Points to complete the Periodic Reporting Exercise questionnaire (Sections I and II);
- Discuss the drafting of the Retrospective Statement of Outstanding Universal Value;
- Inform participants of the Retrospective Inventory process;
- Establish thematic working groups;
- Create effective means of communication and exchange experiences and practices among experts;
- Promote and develop training programmes.
The results of the discussions of the working groups were the starting point for developing the Action Plan for Latin America and the Caribbean. In order to enrich the discussions and continue contacts among participants, we organized online discussion groups, which served as a basis for planning, making proposals and developing collective actions like:
- Organization of a regional meeting (Argentina) for cultural and natural National Focal Points from the entire Region.
- Organization of three sub-regional meetings in 2010 and 2011 in three countries in the Region (Mexico , Brazil and Barbados). The National Focal Points will convene at each meeting together with the respective site managers, in charge of the properties inscribed on the List in each sub-region. The sub-regional meetings also aim to strengthen cooperation among States Parties, in order to create a solid platform for the exchange of technical and institutional development over the next three years.
- Buenos Aires (Argentina) 26-28 November 2009.
- Mexico and Central America meeting held in Zacatecas (Mexico) on 6-10 September 2010
- South America . Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), on 7 to 10 December 2010, at the Gustavo Capanema Palace - Portinari Hall and Hotel Francisco.
- Caribbean . Bridgetown (Barbados) on 6-8 April, 2011.
- Organization of three sub-regional meetings in 2010 and 2012 in three countries in the Region (Peru, Costa Rica and the Dominican Republic). The National Focal Points will convene at each meeting together with the respective site managers, in charge of the properties inscribed on the List of each sub-region. The sub-regional meetings also aim to strengthen cooperation among States Parties, in order to create a solid platform for the exchange of technical and institutional development over the coming years.
- Organization of two meetings at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris for National Focal Points (both cultural and natural) for the preparation of the Action Plan for the Region.
- Information meetings held with the Permanent Delegations of the countries participating in the meetings to continue the coordination process.
In parallel with regional and sub-regional meetings, the WHC will support the discussions of organized thematic groups : Maya sites, Sustainability Indicators for Historical Areas, Cultural Routes and Religious Missions. Other topics for discussion are the following: mixed properties, legal advice and the Tentative List.
- 26 countries of the Latin America and Caribbean Region; National Institutions managing cultural and natural heritage, managers of properties inscribed on the World Heritage List (124 properties);
- Focal Points, Regional Office staff, Category 2 Centre staff, regional experts, representatives of ICOMOS, IUCN and ICCROM.
1. Jamaica still does not have properties inscribed on the World Heritage List, however, the nomination file for the mixed site, Blue and John Crow Mountains National Park, will be reviewed by the 35th session of the World Heritage Committee (Bahrain, 2011).
2. Regional offices in Quito and Lima have included in 35/C5 a budget line to assist in organizing the meeting.
Many of the programmes developed in LAC are funded by Spanish Funds-in-Trust for World Heritage.
- Final Meeting of the Second Cycle of the Periodic Reporting Exercise for Latin America and the Caribbean Thursday, November 8, 2012
- Final Meeting of the Second Cycle of the Periodic Reporting Exercise for Latin America and the Caribbean, 3-5 December 2012, Santiago, Chile Dec 2, 2012 - Dec 5, 2012
- Sub-Regional Meeting for Central America, Second Cycle of the Periodic Reporting Exercise for Latin America and the Caribbean, Zacatecas, Mexico Mar 12, 2012 - Mar 14, 2012
- Sub-Regional Meeting for the Caribbean Second Cycle of the Periodic Reporting Exercise for Latin America and the Caribbean (Dominican Republic) Feb 15, 2012 - Feb 17, 2012
- Sub-Regional Meeting for South America Second Cycle of the Periodic Reporting Exercise for Latin America and the Caribbean (Brazil) Feb 9, 2012 - Feb 11, 2012
- Caribbean Sub Regional Meeting for Periodic Reporting Exercise Apr 4, 2011 - Apr 6, 2011