Lorentz National Park
Factors affecting the property in 2003*
- Management systems/ management plan
Factors* affecting the property identified in previous reports
- Management infrastructure development within the constraints imposed by security risks in the area (issue resolved)
- Disposal of mine tailings (issue resolved)
- Strategic planning and promoting Government-NGO-industry co-operation for conservation
International Assistance: requests for the property until 2003
Total amount approved : 41,400 USD
|Strategic Planning for the Conservation and Effective ... (Approved)
|Nomination file for Lorentz National Reserve (Approved)
Missions to the property until 2003**
Conservation issues presented to the World Heritage Committee in 2003
In response to item 1 of the Committee’s Decision 26COM21(b)12 the State Party, by letter to the Centre dated 4 March 2003, invited an IUCN/World Heritage Centre mission to visit the site and suggested late April/early May as a possible time for the mission. In 1999, when the Committee inscribed Lorentz on the World Heritage List it had suggested that a mission be undertaken to the site three years later (2002/2003) to monitor progress in the implementation of the Committee’s recommendations made at the time of inscription. The Centre’s communications with the Directorate of Protected Areas of Indonesia have made it clear that the mission is likely to be delayed, perhaps until June-July 2003 due to logistical aspects of organizing the mission to this remote site. A Centre staff member is expected to undertake negotiations on the organization of the mission, including the Terms of Reference of the mission during a visit to Jakarta from 5 to 7 May 2003. The specific timing of the mission will be reported to the Committee at the time of its twenty-seventh session. In the meantime IUCN is in the process of choosing a suitable expert for undertaking the mission.
Summary of the interventions
Decisions adopted by the Committee in 2003
27 COM 7B.8
Lorentz National Park (Indonesia)
The World Heritage Committee ,
1. Expresses its thanks for the State Party's prompt invitation of an IUCN/World Heritage Centre mission to the property in response to the Committee decision 26 COM 21(b) 12;
2. Notes that the World Heritage Centre and IUCN are consulting with concerned authorities in Indonesia to establish the Terms of Reference and determine suitable dates for the mission;
3. Requests the World Heritage Centre and IUCN to co-operate with the State Party to organize the mission as soon as possible in 2003 and submit a detailed report in order that the World Heritage Committee can examine the state of conservation of the property at its 28th session in 2004.
 Decision adopted without discussion
Draft Decision: 27 COM 7 (b) 8
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Expresses its thanks to the State Party’s prompt invitation of an IUCN/World Heritage Centre mission to the site in response to the Committee decision 26COM21(b)12,
2. Notes that the World Heritage Centre and IUCN are consulting with concerned authorities in Indonesia to establish the Terms of Reference and determine suitable dates for the mission, and
3. Requests the Centre and IUCN to co-operate with the State Party to organize the mission as soon as possible in 2003 and submit a detailed report on the state of conservation of the property for examination at its 28th session.
The threats indicated are listed in alphabetical order; their order does not constitute a classification according to the importance of their impact on the property.
Furthermore, they are presented irrespective of the type of threat faced by the property, i.e. with specific and proven imminent danger (“ascertained danger”) or with threats which could have deleterious effects on the property’s Outstanding Universal Value (“potential danger”).