Periodic Reporting 2nd Cycle : Latin America and the Caribbean (2013)
The preliminary process was implemented in cooperation with some Regional Offices (Lima, Quito, Montevideo, Guatemala, Costa Rica and Havana), and some of the Category 2 Centres approved by the General Conference in October 2009 (35 C/20).
Synthesis and analysis of the second cycle of Periodic Reporting in Latin America and Caribbean (LAC) submitted in accordance with the Decision 36 COM 10C.
MeetingsWith the purpose of achieving the objectives of the World Heritage Committee, and bearing in mind that the official launch of the Second Cycle of Periodic Reporting is in 2011, the LAC Unit of the World Heritage Centre (WHC) established the following timeline for 2009-2013:
First series of meetingsThe following sub-regional meetings held in 2010 and scheduled for 2011, included the participation of Focal Points of natural and cultural properties inscribed on the World Heritage List, site managers, Regional and national authorities, senior officials responsible for protecting and managing cultural and natural heritage sites in the sub-region, Advisory Bodies (ICOMOS, IUCN and ICCROM), in addition to the staff of the two Category 2 Centres and Regional Offices of UNESCO.
The objectives of these meetings were:
- Develop the preparation of the Second Cycle of the Periodic Reporting Exercise;
- Discuss the programmes and activities to be implemented in the Region until 2013;
- Train managers and Focal Points to complete the Periodic Reporting Exercise questionnaire (Sections I and II);
- Discuss the drafting of the Retrospective Statement of Outstanding Universal Value;
- Inform participants of the Retrospective Inventory process;
- Establish thematic working groups;
- Create effective means of communication and exchange experiences and practices among experts;
- Promote and develop training programmes.
Regional meetingOrganization of a regional meeting (Argentina) for cultural and natural National Focal Points from the entire Region.
Sub-regional meetingsOrganization of three sub-regional meetings in 2010 and 2011 in three countries in the Region (Mexico , Brazil and Barbados). The National Focal Points will convene at each meeting together with the respective site managers, in charge of the properties inscribed on the List in each sub-region. The sub-regional meetings also aim to strengthen cooperation among State Parties, in order to create a solid platform for the exchange of technical and institutional development over the next three years.
- Mexico and Central America meeting held in Zacatecas (Mexico) on 6-10 September 2010
- South America . Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), on 7 to 10 December 2010, at the Gustavo Capanema Palace - Portinari Hall and Hotel Francisco.
- Caribbean . Bridgetown (Barbados) on 6-8 April, 2011.
Second series of meetings
Organization of three sub-regional meetings between 2010 and 2012 in Mexico, Brazil and the Dominican Republic. National Focal Points and site managers in charge of the properties inscribed on the List of each sub-region attended the meeting. The sub-regional meetings also aimed to strengthen cooperation among State Parties in order to create a solid platform of exchange of technical and institutional information for the coming years.
- Mexico and Central America meeting was held in Zacatecas (Mexico) on 12-17 March 2012
- South America meeting was held in Ouro Preto (Brazil), on 9 to 11 February 2012
- Caribbean meeting was held in Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic) on 15-17 February 2012
Santiago de Chile (Chile) 2-5 December 2012
Information meetings held with the Permanent Delegations of the countries participating in the meetings to ensure the coordination process.In parallel with regional and sub-regional meetings, the WHC will support the discussions of organized thematic groups : Maya sites, Sustainability Indicators for Historical Areas, Cultural Routes and Religious Missions. Other topics for discussion are the following: mixed properties, legal advice and the Tentative List.
26 countries of the Latin America and Caribbean Region; National Institutions managing cultural and natural heritage, managers of properties inscribed on the World Heritage List (124 properties); Focal Points, Regional Office staff, Category 2 Centre staff, regional experts, representatives of ICOMOS, IUCN and ICCROM.
In this section of the platform, the World Heritage Centre aimed to provide an interactive space for the LAC community and participants of thematic groups created during the sub-regional meetings. Each group had a coordinator that was responsible for the launching, coordination and moderation of discussions.
Each thematic group was provided with an alert system to inform the participants and the World Heritage Centre when a new discussion has been opened or when documents have been uploaded.
The following links will take you to the Thematic Group you participated during this process:
- Informe sobre los resultados del Segundo Ciclo del Informe Periódico del Estado del Patrimonio Mundial en América Latina y el Caribe
- calendar PR 2010-2013 version jan 2011
- Sub-regional meeting on the Action Plan for World Heritage in Mexico and Central America, 2018-2023 23-Apr-2018-25-Apr-2018
- Sub-Regional meeting on the Caribbean Action Plan for World Heritage 2014-2019 26-Nov-2014-28-Nov-2014
- Towards an Action Plan for World Heritage in Latin America and the Caribbean 2014-2024 23-Apr-2014-25-Apr-2014
- Final Meeting of the Second Cycle of the Periodic Reporting Exercise for Latin America and the Caribbean, 3-5 December 2012, Santiago, Chile 02-Dec-2012-05-Dec-2012
- Sub-Regional Meeting for Central America, Second Cycle of the Periodic Reporting Exercise for Latin America and the Caribbean, Zacatecas, Mexico 12-Mar-2012-14-Mar-2012