Probota Monastery, located in north-east Romania, has been on the World Heritage List since 1993.
The present church, built between 1528 and 1530 by Petru Rares. It is the beautiful internal and external frescos, painted shortly after the construction of the church, that give the site its particular cultural and artistic significance.
Probota Monastery has undergone several restoration and conservation campaigns throughout its history. In the nineteenth century a large part of the mural paintings were over-painted. More interventions were carried out in 1930 to replace some of the gothic tracery and relay the floor.
Between 1977 and 1989 important structural works was carried out including the building of a new roof with longer eaves to protect the mural paintings from harsh weather conditions.