World Heritage Volunteers 2020-2021 Campaign
Fostering Youth Commitment towards World Heritage
WHV 2018 © The Governing Body of Soumenlinna
The UNESCO World Heritage Centre is pleased to announce the selected projects of the World Heritage Volunteers (WHV) 2020 - 2021 Campaign, under the theme of Fostering Youth Commitment towards World Heritage.
WHV 2020-2021 is a joint campaign, a first in the history of the Initiative, as the implementation of the projects under the WHV 2020 campaign was postponed to 2021 due to the COVID-19 global pandemic.
As such, 55 action camp projects will be implemented from February to December 2021 at 55 World Heritage properties and sites on the Tentative Lists, by 49 organizations in 32 countries around the globe.
The WHV 2020-2021 projects will provide empowering and enriching opportunities to young people and enable them to go beyond borders to some of the most outstanding places in the world. National and international volunteers will work together with the local communities to preserve our common cultural and natural heritage, through concrete hands-on and awareness-raising activities.
Volunteering for World Heritage preservation is a unique experience! Come join us in the WHV 2020-2021 Campaign.
What is the WHV Initiative?
The WHV Initiative was launched in 2008 to encourage young people to undertake concrete actions and play an active role in the protection, preservation and promotion of World Heritage. It consists of action camp projects organized by organizations or institutions, involving national and international volunteers in awareness-raising and hands on activities. These projects are implemented in cooperation with multiple stakeholders and partners, including the local communities, who work together towards the preservation of our common cultural and natural heritage.
The World Heritage Volunteers Initiative is led by the UNESCO World Heritage Centre in collaboration with the Coordinating Committee for International Voluntary Service- CCIVS (WHV global coordinator, regional coordinator for Africa, Arab States and Latin America) and European Heritage Volunteers - as a branch of Open Houses (regional coordinator for Europe) and Better World (regional coordinator for Asia).
How to become a Volunteer?
To become a volunteer, please refer to the list of selected projects of the World Heritage Volunteers 2020-2021 campaign, along with the brief descriptions of the selected projects, below. You may choose a project of your interest, based on the activities, duration and timeline of the project.
Please note that the UNESCO World Heritage Centre and the regional coordinators are not responsible for the selection of individual volunteers. As such, you will need to contact the organizations implementing the chosen projects directly, so that they may be able to provide you with details regarding the application procedure, and other necessary information. The contact details are available in the brief descriptions below.
Full list of selected projects
for the World Heritage Volunteers
The brief descriptions of all the selected projects can be downloaded here:
*Please note that the implementation of the projects and their dates may be subject to change in case of extenuating circumstances. This list will be updated regularly to reflect any such changes. You may also contact the organizations directly for further details on the projects and their timelines.
- WHV - United in reducing Human Wildlife Conflict in Okavango Delta communities, Moremi Lion Research Project
- WHV - CAP (Clinique Artistique du Patrimoine mondial de Grand Bassam), Cercle de Recherche en Scénographie et Arts de la Scène (CRESAS)
- WHV - Kakamega Rainforest & Isukuti Dance, Kenya Voluntary Service Organization (KVSO)
- WHV - Tsavo National Park and Chyulu Hills Programme Kenya, Kenya Voluntary Service Organization (KVSO)
- WHV - Mombasa Old Town, Agape Centre of Hope
- WHV - Maasai Mara, Global Voluntary Development Asociation (GVDA)
- WHV - Mozambique Island International Workcamp, Associacao Juvenil Para o Desenvolvimento do Voluntariado em Mocambique (AJUDE) - ICYE Mozambique
- WHV - Volunteers in the conservation of the environment and protection against erosion on the island of Mozambique, Associação dos Jovens Voluntários (AJOV)
- WHV - The Recovery Match for Sukur- a participatory conservation program for Sukur World Heritage Site, African International Documentary Festival Foundation (AFIDFF)
- WHV - Mobilising Youths Towards Heritage Development, Voluntary Workcamps Association of Nigeria
- WHV - Autonomiser les communautés locales et engager les jeunes à s'approprier de la valeur civilisationnelle exceptionnelle des Cercles Mégalithiques de la Sénégambie, CorpsAfrica/Sénégal
- WHV - Protection et valorisation du patrimoine mondial de l’UNESCO : site de koutammakou (Action for sustainability), Frères Agriculteurs et Artisans pour le Développement (FAGAD)
- WHV - Obuwangwa Bwafe Munfuna Project, Faraja Africa Foundation
- WHV - Nyero Rock Art Stars, Cities Development Initiatives Uganda
- WHV - Enhance Jordanian Archaeological Sites through youth Engagement and Volunteerism, See Jordan for Sustainable Development, Training, and Rehabilitation
- WHV - Be a volunteer with us to clean up the ancient city of Rabat, Association Work Camps and Cultures (ACC)
- WHV - Dong Building Technology, Beijing Tsinghua Tongheng Urban Planning & Design Institute, Institute for Historic and Cultural Cities and The University of Chester, China Centre
- WHV - Learning and Sharing the History of Jingshan (a community of the World Heritage Site), Beijing Tsinghua Tongheng Urban Planning & Design Institute, Institute for Historic and Cultural Cities and The University of Chester, China Centre
- WHV - Temple and Cemetery of Confucius and the Kong Family Mansion in Qufu, Global Cultural Exchange and Beijing Shangdehongyi
- WHV - World Heritage Conservator for the Daming Palace, ICOMOS International Conservation Center-Xi’an and Shaanxi Daming Palace Cultural Heritage Conservation Foundation
- WHV - The Feast of Na-Tcha in the Historic Centre of Macao, Macao New Chinese Youth Association (MNCYA)
- WHV - Let's Heritage (Chhatrapati), Elixir Foundation
- WHV - Let's Heritage (Ahmadabad), Elixir Foundation
- WHV - Let's Heritage (Rani-ki-Vav), Elixir Foundation
- WHV - Hampi, Field Services and Inter-Cultural Learning (FSL India), India
- WHV - Borobudur Village Camp, Indonesia International Work Camp (IIWC of PKBI)
- WHV - Prambanan Temple Compounds, Dejavato Foundation
Iran (Islamic Republic of)
Republic of Korea
- WHV - Bukhara Documentation and Conservation, International Institute for Central Asian Studies (IICAS)
- WHV - Get inspired and innovate! Join us in preserving and presenting the Fortress of Suomenlinna, The Governing Body of Suomenlinna
- WHV - Parks and Gardens of Classical Weimar, European Heritage Volunteers
- WHV - Preservation and Valorization of Industrial and Mining Heritage, European Heritage Volunteers
- WHV - Volunteering in Herculaneum, a Roman town in the shadow of Vesuvius, Archaeological Park of Herculaneum
- WHV - Porto in the path of cultural heritage sustainability, Associação Portuguesa para a Reabilitação Urbana e Proteção do Património (APPRUPP)
- WHV - Bolgar World Heritage Volunteers, Bolgar State Historical and Architectural Museum-Reserve
- WHV - Preservation of traditional wooden architecture of the Russian North, Federal State Institution "Kenozero National Park"
- WHV - St. Petersburg Landscapes is a Green Heritage, NGO "Mir tesen"
- WHV - Kamchatka World Heritage Volunteers, Regional Budget Organisation “Nature Park Volcanoes of Kamchatka”
- WHV - A historic wall that connects us, Fundacion de San Millan de la Cogolla
- WHV - Documenting Casa Battló to preserve our heritage for the future, Casa Batlló S.L.U.
- WHV - Dondon Ramiers Heritage Preservation Project, Organization for Dondon’s Integral Development (ODID)
- WHV - Citadelle Durable, Association Francophone des Voisins Ecologiques (ASFVE)
- WHV - Intermunicipal World Heritage on the Slopes of the Popocatepetl, Asociación Mexicana de Voluntariado Internacional (AMVIAC)
- WHV - Archaeological Zone of Xochicalco, Asociación Mexicana de Voluntariado Internacional (AMVIAC)
- WHV - Taller Barrial de Artes y Oficios: Heritage education in the public spaces of the Historic Center of Puebla, Re Genera Espacio (RGE)
- WHV - Guardians of Chichén Itzá, Zona de Monumentos Arqueológicos de Chichén Itzá, Del Instituto Nacional De Antropología E Historia, De La Secretaria De Cultura