Historical Monuments of Mtskheta
Factors affecting the property in 2002*
- Management activities
Factors* affecting the property identified in previous reports
- Critical conditions of particularly two archaeological sites (issue resolved)
- Buildings constructed on the Samtavros Veli site
- Degradation and construction projects at Svetitskhoveli Cathedral
International Assistance: requests for the property until 2002
Total amount approved : 70,500 USD
Study and Development of the Mtskheta Heritage and ...
Reapproval: 05 Feb, 2001 (n°1374 - 35,000 USD)
|1999||Implementation of the Masterplan for Mtskheta, Georgia (Approved)||19,000 USD|
|1997||Launching of a rehabilitation programme for Mtskheta (Approved)||16,500 USD|
Missions to the property until 2002**
2001: UNESCO/ICOMOS mission for the UNDP-SPPD project
Conservation issues presented to the World Heritage Committee in 2002
At the time of the preparation of this document no report from the authorities had been received.
Decisions adopted by the Committee in 2002
26 COM 21B.46
City-Museum Reserve of Mtskheta (Georgia)The World Heritage Committee,
1. Strongly urges the State Party of Georgia to provide before the 1 September 2002, a report on the on-going constructions and degradations at the site;
2. Requests the Government authorities to ensure that all these works are halted and that no further restoration works or constructions in close proximity to the Cathedral be undertaken;3. Requests that the authorities invite an UNESCO-ICOMOS mission to the site in the near future and that a report be presented for examination at its 27th session in June/July 2003.
The Committee may wish to adopt the following decision:
“The Committee strongly urges the State Party of Georgia to provide a report before the 1 September 2002 on the on-going constructions and degradations at the site, and requests the Government authorities to ensure that all these works are halted and that no further restoration works or constructions in close proximity to the Cathedral be undertaken. It requests that the authorities invite an UNESCO-ICOMOS to the site in the near future and that a report be presented to the 27th session of the Bureau in April 2003.”
Documents examined by the Committee26COM (2002)
The threats indicated are listed in alphabetical order; their order does not constitute a classification according to the importance of their impact on the property.
Furthermore, they are presented irrespective of the type of threat faced by the property, i.e. with specific and proven imminent danger (“ascertained danger”) or with threats which could have deleterious effects on the property’s Outstanding Universal Value (“potential danger”).
** : All mission reports are not always available electronically.