Sagarmatha National Park
Factors affecting the property in 2004*
- Air transport infrastructure
- Financial resources
- Human resources
- Illegal activities
- Impacts of tourism / visitor / recreation
- Management systems/ management plan
Factors* affecting the property identified in previous reports
Tourism Pressure; Logging; Lack of human or financial resources; Lack of institution coordination.
International Assistance: requests for the property until 2004
Total amount approved : 232,097 USD
|1999||Donor Meeting for the Sagarmatha National Park (Approved)||7,000 USD|
|1999||Training of the Chief Warden of the Sagarmatha National ... (Approved)||8,202 USD|
|1998||Upgrading of interpretation displays and visitor ... (Approved)||15,000 USD|
|1983||Reafforestation programme, improvement of the display ... (Approved)||10,000 USD|
|1982||Specialist services of an energy adviser and financial ... (Approved)||61,995 USD|
|1981||Financial contribution and specialist services for a ... (Approved)||54,900 USD|
|1980||Energy adviser, equipment and financial assistance for ... (Approved)||75,000 USD|
Missions to the property until 2004**
Conservation issues presented to the World Heritage Committee in 2004
The Department of National Parks and Wildlife (DNPWC) of Nepal, in a report attached to its letter of 27 January 2004 to the Centre, noted that the Nepal Civil Aviation Authority has confirmed in writing that it will remove equipment and other construction materials from the Syangboche airstrip inside Sagarmatha National Park. The excavator and materials will be airlifted to Kathmandu. The Civil Aviation authority was in the process of hiring an helicopter in late January 2004 to airlift the materials from Syangboche. IUCN has noted the information and has expressed satisfaction with the action taken by the State Party to implement Committee decision 27 COM 7B.10. The report of the DNPWC does not however, address other issues raised by the Committee at its last session, e.g. enhanced co-operation with local stakeholders.
Decisions adopted by the Committee in 2004
28 COM 15B.16
Sagarmatha National Park (Nepal)The World Heritage Committee,
1. Commends the State Party for taking the necessary action to halt the construction of the Syangboche airstrip project and to remove the equipment and construction materials brought into the Park for the project;
2. Requests the State Party to enhance co-operation with local stakeholders.
Draft Decision: 28 COM 15B.16
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Commends the State Party for taking necessary action to halt the construction of the Syangboche airstrip project and to remove the equipment and construction materials brought into the Park for the project;
2. Requests the State Party for taking necessary actions to enhance cooperation with local stakeholders.
The threats indicated are listed in alphabetical order; their order does not constitute a classification according to the importance of their impact on the property.
Furthermore, they are presented irrespective of the type of threat faced by the property, i.e. with specific and proven imminent danger (“ascertained danger”) or with threats which could have deleterious effects on the property’s Outstanding Universal Value (“potential danger”).