Decision : 27 COM 7B.34
Robben Island (South Africa)
The World Heritage Committee ,
1. Recalling that all possible measures must be taken to protect the World Cultural and Natural Heritage and reaffirming support to the States Parties in their efforts to protect properties,
2. Commends the State Party for the proactive initiative of undertaking an on-site investigation to assess the state of conservation of the property in February 2003 and for the subsequent adoption of the Conservation Management Plan by the Robben Island Museum Council;
3. Welcomes the World Heritage Centre's efforts in mobilizing extrabudgetary resources from industries that benefit from World Heritage properties;
4. Encourages the State Party to continue its efforts towards establishing a plan for the rehabilitation and for the integrated management of the property, which should take into consideration a programme for systematic monitoring;
5. Requests the World Heritage Centre, ICOMOS, ICCROM and IUCN to undertake a mission to Robben Island to ascertain the state of conservation of the property, including the status of the wildlife populations, and to prepare an information document with a proposed rehabilitation programme in order that the World Heritage Committee can examine the state of conservation of the property at its 28th session in 2004;
6. Further suggests that if possible the above-mentioned mission be undertaken before or after the World Parks Congress to be held in Durban, South Africa, in September 2003, and include members of the World Heritage Centre, IUCN and ICOMOS who will be attending the Congress.
 Decision adopted following written amendment by the State Party.
DocumentsDecisions adopted by the 27th Session of the World Heritage Committee in 2003" > WHC-03/27.COM/24
Context of DecisionWHC-03/27.COM/7B
2003 Robben Island