The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-09/33.COM/7B.Add,
2. Recalling Decision 32 COM 7B.126, adopted at its 32nd session (Quebec City, 2008),
3. Notes the progress report on the preparation of the Statement of Outstanding Universal Value of the property and requests the State Party to further develop it in consultation with the World Heritage Centre and the Advisory Bodies to integrate all components of the inscribed property and to meet the requirements of the Operational Guidelines;
4. Also notes the results of the 2009 joint World Heritage Centre / ICOMOS reactive monitoring mission, endorses its recommendations and requests the State Party to implement them by 30 November 2009 and in particular to:
a) Develop an Emergency Plan for corrective measures that delineates a precise course of action for the conservation of the historic buildings and the rehabilitation of neglected buildings to address social lodging concerns.
b) Prepare the Emergency Plan within the framework of a broad participatory decision-making process and guarantee the commitment of the highest levels of authority to the conservation of the property;
5. Urges the State Party to:
a) Approve of the revised legislative proposal to enhance the protection and the regulatory measures of the property and to establish one permanent management authority to ensure the sustainability of the management system of the property;
b) Continue developing a housing policy for the urban district in order to improve the living conditions of the low-income families and to reactivate technical and financial assistance from international cooperation agencies;
c) Define alternative routes to the Avenida Cincuentenario given the impacts on the property's Outstanding Universal Value, integrity and authenticity;
6. Also requests the State Party to, in accordance with Paragraph 172 of the Operational Guidelines, submit the following information to the World Heritage Centre and ICOMOS for evaluation and consideration by the World Heritage Committee prior to implementation :
a) The intervention proposals for historic buildings within the protected area;
b) The proposed boundaries for the buffer zones of Panama Viejo and the Historic District, including the appropriate cartography and the legal framework for their regulation and protection;
c) A final report including the analysis and monitoring of the potential impacts derived from the construction of the Cinta Costera;
7. Further requests the State Party to submit to the World Heritage Centre, by 1 February 2010, a detailed report on the state of conservation of the property and on the progress made in the implementation of the above recommendations, for the examination by the World Heritage Committee at its 34th session in 2010.