Paris, Banks of the Seine
Factors affecting the property in 2000*
Factors* affecting the property identified in previous reportsProject of new buildings within the historic setting (issue resolved)
International Assistance: requests for the property until 2000
Total amount approved : 0 USD
Information presented to the Bureau of the World Heritage Committee in 2000
- Palace and Park of Fontainebleau Inscribed on the World Heritage List in1981
- Chateau and Estate of Chambord Inscribed on the World Heritage List in 1981
- Amiens Cathedral Inscribed on the World Heritage List in 1981
- Chartres Cathedral Inscribed on the World Heritage List in 1979
- Strasbourg- Grande Ile Inscribed on the World Heritage List in1988
- Cathedral of Notre-Dame, Former Abbey of Saint-Rémi and Palace of Tau Reims Inscribed on the World Heritage List in1991
- Paris, Banks of the Seine Inscribed on the World Heritage List in1991
- Mont-Saint-Michel and its Bay Inscribed on the World Heritage List in1979
- Palace and Park of Versailles Inscribed on the World Heritage List in1979
New Information: Following the December 1999 storm, the above-mentioned French sites inscribed on the World Heritage List were seriously damaged. The French authorities provided the Secretariat with information about the major damage and estimated costs of repair. The damage was particularly severe at the following World Heritage sites:
- Fontainebleau: material damages to the roofing, 800 trees uprooted in the English garden. Damage was assessed at an amount of FF 4 Million.
- Notre Dame de Paris: collapse of a number of outside sculptures. Damage was assessed at an amount of FF 22.2 Million.
-Palace and Park of Versailles: material damage to the roof of the Palace and severe damage in the Park. Damage was assessed at an amount of FF 250 Million.
The report was transmitted to ICOMOS for further advice.
The Bureau may wish to examine information that will be provided at the time of its session and may wish to recommend the French authorities to submit a request for international assistance in this regard.
Decisions adopted by the Committee in 2000
The threats indicated are listed in alphabetical order; their order does not constitute a classification according to the importance of their impact on the property.
Furthermore, they are presented irrespective of the type of threat faced by the property, i.e. with specific and proven imminent danger (“ascertained danger”) or with threats which could have deleterious effects on the property’s Outstanding Universal Value (“potential danger”).