Historic Town of Zabid
Factors affecting the property in 1998*
- Erosion and siltation/ deposition
- Management activities
- Relative humidity
- Solid waste
Factors* affecting the property identified in previous reports
- Inappropriate work has been undertaken at the Grand Mosque
- Water conveyance project
International Assistance: requests for the property until 1998
Total amount approved : 64,000 USD
|1998||Construction of the furnace for making mud bricks, a ... (Approved)||19,000 USD|
|1994||Preparation of a publication on Zabid (Approved)||15,000 USD|
|1994||Urgent protection works in the Historical Town of Zabid (Approved)||30,000 USD|
Information presented to the Bureau of the World Heritage Committee in 1998
The same mission reported that:
- the conservation concept and the overall management plan should be established as mentioned for the Old Walled City of Shibam;
- the new sewer project underway should be urgently appraised in order to avoid a rapid deterioration;
- use of traditional architectural materials should be required for the new construction of the building in order not to threaten the value of the site.
Summary of the interventions
Decisions adopted by the Committee in 1998
22 BUR V.B.71
Historic Town of Zabid (Yemen)
After having taken note of the report of the Secretariat, the Bureau invited the Yemeni authorities to prepare an overall management plan in collaboration with the Secretariat. The Bureau also requested the Secretariat to study the impact of the new sewerage project on the architecture and conservation of buildings of the city.
The threats indicated are listed in alphabetical order; their order does not constitute a classification according to the importance of their impact on the property.
Furthermore, they are presented irrespective of the type of threat faced by the property, i.e. with specific and proven imminent danger (“ascertained danger”) or with threats which could have deleterious effects on the property’s Outstanding Universal Value (“potential danger”).