Talamanca Range-La Amistad Reserves / La Amistad National Park
Factors affecting the property in 2003*
- Ground transport infrastructure
Factors* affecting the property identified in previous reports
- Possible oil exploitation (issue resolved);
- Road construction proposal (issue resolved);
- Need to review the boundaries (issue resolved).
International Assistance: requests for the property until 2003
Total amount approved : 276,350 USD
Technical assistance for Talamanca-La Amistad (NOT ...
Reapproval: 08 Apr, 1998 (n°925 - 19,900 USD)
|1992||Repair of damage to housing of staff at Talamanca -La ... (Approved)||10,000 USD|
|1990||La Amistad: construction of 3 guard posts, purchase of ... (Approved)||50,000 USD|
|1990||Various conservation and training activities for La ... (Approved)||50,000 USD|
|1988||Equipment and financial contribution for strengthening ... (Approved)||30,000 USD|
|1985||Improvement of infrastructure, implementation of the ... (Approved)||40,000 USD|
|1985||Strengthening the protection and management of ... (Approved)||32,150 USD|
|1983||Training programme, improvement of infrastructures and ... (Approved)||30,000 USD|
|1982||In situ training of wardens of La Amistad Reserve (Approved)||14,300 USD|
Missions to the property until 2003**
Conservation issues presented to the World Heritage Committee in 2003
The WHC received information from the Permanent Delegation of Panama in December 2002 regarding a proposed road to be constructed within the Volcan Baru area, adjacent to the La Amistad World Heritage site, and regarding illegal logging taking place within the site boundaries. The Centre sent a letter dated 6 February 2003 to the Panamanian authorities requesting information on the actions the government may be taking to deal with the aforementioned activities. To date, no response has been received.
Summary of the interventions
Decisions adopted by the Committee in 2003
27 COM 7B.24
Talamanca Range-La Amistad Reserves / La Amistad National Park (Costa Rica/Panama)
Le Comité du patrimoine mondial ,
1. Demande à l'Etat partie du Panama de rendre compte au Centre du patrimoine mondial et à l'UICN d'ici le 1er février 2004 des mesures prises en ce qui concerne la déforestation illégale et la proposition de construction d'une route afin que le Comité du patrimoine mondial puisse examiner l'état de conservation du bien à sa 28e session, en 2004.
 Décision adoptée sans discussion
Draft Decision: 27 COM 7 (b) 24
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Requests the State Party to report to the WHC and IUCN by 1 February 2004 on actions taken to deal with these activities for review by its 28th session.
Documents examined by the Committee27COM (2003)
The threats indicated are listed in alphabetical order; their order does not constitute a classification according to the importance of their impact on the property.
Furthermore, they are presented irrespective of the type of threat faced by the property, i.e. with specific and proven imminent danger (“ascertained danger”) or with threats which could have deleterious effects on the property’s Outstanding Universal Value (“potential danger”).
** : All mission reports are not always available electronically.