Historic Town of Zabid
Threats to the Site (2000)
- Serious deterioration of the built heritage (a high percentage of the residential houses being replaced by concrete and multi-storey buildings);
- The remaining houses in the city are rapidly deteriorating, due to the prevailing low income of the inhabitants;
- Since the souq activities have been transferred outside the city, the ancient souq is almost empty and free from any type of activity and the shops are falling apart;
- The traditional economic role of the city has vanished;
- The city in general, is lacking any conservation and rehabilitation strategies.
The Yemeni government asked for Zabid to be inscribed on the List of World Heritage in Danger to facilitate its preservation.
List in Danger
Reporting trend based on the frequency at which the World Heritage Committee has deliberated over this property over the past 15 years. 0 = minimum reports, 100 = maximum reports.
For more information consult the The State of Conservation of the World Heritage Forest Network