Decision : CONF 202 21A.12
Bahla Fort (Oman)
1. Commends the Omani authorities for the substantial achievements in the advancement of conservation works at the Fort, and for engaging in the preparation of the Management Plan;
2. Recommends that the State Party ensure as a matter of urgency the necessary technical supervision of the conservation works being implemented at the site, and that a comprehensive survey and analysis of cultural and natural values of the Bahla Oasis and its surroundings be included in the scope of work of the consultant firm;
3. Expresses its concern with regard to the proposed construction of a new market within the site and suggests that an environmental impact assessment be made of this new construction on the values of the site;
4. Requests that the State Party transmit to the Centre a copy of all reports prepared by the consultant as well as any technical documentation relating to the proposed construction of the new market within the Oasis, including an assessment of its potential impact on the values of the site;
5. Requests the State Party to submit by 1 February 2003, a report on the progress of all the above-mentioned issues for examination at its 27th session in June/July 2003;6. Decides to retain the site on the List of World Heritage in Danger.
2002 Bahla Fort