The World Heritage Committee,
- Having examined Documents WHC/17/41.COM/8B and WHC/17/41.COM/INF.8B2,
- Decides not to inscribe the Bhitarkanika Conservation Area, India, on the World Heritage List on the basis of natural criteria;
- Recommends that the State Party:
- Ensures adequate human, material and financial resources to support the effective management of the Bhitarkanika Conservation Area, and in particular to provide adequate resources for the management of the Gahirmatha Marine Wildlife Sanctuary, including year-round patrolling to prevent illegal fishing by commercial fishing vessels,
- Implements additional protection for the two additional mass Olive Ridley Turtle nesting beaches on the Odisha Coast;
- Thanks the State Party for its continued efforts to protect and conserve the values of the nominated property, including previous efforts to re-establish the Saltwater Crocodile population and to protect the Olive Ridley Turtle population and the nesting beach on the Gahirmatha Coast.