Decision : 39 COM 8B.3
Sanganeb Marine National Park and Dungonab Bay – Mukkawar Island Marine National Park, Sudan
The World Heritage Committee,
- Having examined Documents WHC-15/39.COM/8B and WHC-15/39.COM/INF.8B2,
- Refers the nomination of the Sanganeb Marine National Park and Dungonab Bay – Mukkawar Island Marine National Park, Sudan, back to the State Party, taking note of the strong potential to meet natural criteria (vii), (viii), (ix) and (x), in order to allow it to prepare a revised nomination taking into account the need to:
- Review, with the support of IUCN, the boundaries of the nominated property to better define the nominated area and buffer zones to ensure that all the natural attributes which contribute to the globally significant values are appropriately included and that integrity is enhanced. Specifically, consideration should be given to including the designated marine buffer zone area of Sanganeb Marine National Park and other reefs (included in the buffer zone) within the nominated area; to expanding the nominated area to include more of the terrestrial component of Dungonab Marine National Park designated buffer zone; and to incorporating other attributes contributing to Outstanding Universal Value which lie within the linking buffer zone;
- Update the management plans for Sanganeb Marine National Park and Dungonab Marine National Park and develop an integrated management framework for the whole property that guides coordinated inter-agency policy and management and promotes the effective involvement of different stakeholders including local communities;
- Demonstrate increased financial resources and staffing capacity to ensure an adequate level of effective management of the nominated property and provide assurances to the World Heritage Committee on commitments to maintain ongoing sustainable financing.
- Takes note of the willingness of the State Party to work with IUCN to improve the nomination and emphasizes the importance of addressing the full scope of recommendations contained within the IUCN evaluation;
- Commends the State Party for its efforts to legally protect Sanganeb Marine National Park and Dungonab Marine National Park, improve interagency cooperation and for collaborative initiatives to engage local communities in the management of the area.
Decision Code: 39 COM 8B.3
Themes: Inscriptions on the World Heritage List
States Parties (1): Sudan
Properties (1): Sanganeb Marine National Park and Dungonab Bay – Mukkawar Island Marine National Park