Decision : 38 COM 7B.30
Silk Roads: Penjikent-Samarkand-Poykent Corridor (Tajikistan/Uzbekistan)
The World Heritage Committee,
- Having examined Documents WHC-14/38.COM/8B and WHC-14/38.COM/INF.8B1,
- Refers the nomination of the Silk Roads: Penjikent-Samarkand-Poykent Corridor, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, back to the States Parties, in order to allow them, with the advice of ICOMOS and the World Heritage Centre, if requested, to:
- Augment the internal comparative analysis to broaden the selection of sites considered in relation to the re-appraised Outstanding Universal Value,
- Provide more detailed information on each of the nominated sites in order to allow a fuller understanding of their structures and the way they have developed over time;
- Also provide more detailed and accurate maps that show the precise location of the boundaries of the sites in relation to the topography;
- Reconsider the boundaries of Penjikent and Poykent to allow the sites to include all the key archaeological areas, and extend the buffer zones in order that they provide adequate protection for the context and setting of the sites;
- Develop conservation plans for the consolidation and/or back filling of the highly damaged and vulnerable excavated areas of Penjikent and Poykent and seek means and resources for the implementation of these plans;
- Provide clarity as to how the already inscribed properties of Samarkand and Bukhara contribute to the value of the series, and whether Bukhara should be included in the title;
- Strengthen the management arrangements to allow coordination between the component parts in the series on a national basis.
- Recommends the States Parties, if necessary, to invite an ICOMOS Advisory Mission in the framework of the Upstream Processes to advise on the implementation of the above recommendations;
- Invites the international community to consider support for projects to conserve and consolidate the excavated areas in Penjikent and Poykent that are currently threatened by severe erosion.