Decision : CONF 001 VI.B
Island of Gorée (Senegal)
This property inscribed in 1978 was also the subject of an International Campaign of UNESCO. The Coordinator of the MAP/UNEP "100 historical sites" Programme presented the results of the studies and restoration work carried out since 1965. The evaluation would indicate that a number of buildings have been preserved and conserved, however the island's problems of socioeconomic and development have yet to be resolved. Restorationwork is no longer sufficient; the needs of the population struck by unemployment must be considered. Actions to create employment to allow the population to remain on the island need to be promoted and coordinated with the National Committee for the Safeguarding of Gorée. This action especially concerns:
- protection of the shores
- revision of the sanitation system
- improvement of the public lighting system
- development and repair of grounds and streets - installation of an incinerator
- organization of a handicraft sector
- development of cultural activities, especially the possibility of producing a "son et lumière" show, a spectacle which would be presented during the entire tourist season.
The Bureau took note of this information, and of the numerous supporting agencies (European Union, World Bank, France, Germany, UNESCO, etc.) which finance projects on the island.