VII.45 Islamic Cairo (Egypt)
Anxious to preserve the authenticity of the Al Azhar Mosque in Cairo, the Committee recommended
1) that the concerned national authorities immediately halt all work in the Mosque;
2) that UNESCO seeks the co-operation of the Organization for the Islamic Conference;
3) that the World Heritage Centre in agreement with the national authorities concerned designate an expert to identify the conservation activities to be undertaken; and
4) that a meeting be organized to sensitize the persons responsible for the management of the religious monuments of the region:
- on the importance of the properties inscribed on the World Heritage List for humankind, and
- on the importance of maintaining their authenticity.