Decision : 32 COM 7B.113
Westminster Palace, Westminster Abbey and Saint Margaret's Church (United Kingdom) (C 426)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-08/32.COM/7B,
2. Recalling Decision 31 COM 7B.91, adopted at its 31st session (Christchurch, 2007),
3. Notes the actions of the State Party in response to the World Heritage Committee's requests in developing a management plan;
4. Thanksthe State Party for aiming to develop general methodologies for assessing the impact of development on views from and to World Heritage properties which may become a basis for further discussion on criteria for visual impact assessments;
5. Also notes progress with implementing proposals associated with the "Heritage Protection White Paper" and its subsequent "Heritage Protection Bill";
6. Regrets that the following issues still need to be addressed:
a) buffer zone with adequate protection,
b) specific skyline study of the property, its setting and views, to allow rapid in-depth assessments of the impact of development proposals in the immediate vicinity of the property,
c) lack of clarity on the management system set out in the management plan for addressing conflicts between conservation and development, particularly in the setting of the property;
7. Takes note that the State Party has demonstrated its commitment to comply with the requests of the World Heritage Committee (Decision 31 COM 7B.91) to protect the property, its setting and related vistas.
8. Requests the State Party to submit to the World Heritage Centre, by 1 February 2009, a progress report on the above issues, for examination by the World Heritage Committee at its 33rd session in 2009.
2008 Palace of Westminster and Westminster Abbey including Saint Margaret’s Church