African World Heritage Fund
The African World Heritage Fund (AWHF) strives towards the effective conservation and protection of Africa’s natural and cultural heritage. AWHF is for African Union (AU) member states that signed the 1972 UNESCO World Heritage Convention in support of these goals. The AWHF is the first regional funding initiative within the framework of the UNESCO World Heritage Convention.
The AWHF was launched in May 2006 under South African Trust Law in order to provide finance and technical support for the effective conservation and protection of Africa’s natural and cultural heritage of outstanding universal value. The fund was established as a result of work undertaken by African member states of UNESCO with the objective of developing an ongoing strategy to deal with the challenges that most African countries have in implementing the World Heritage Convention.
AWHF pursues the identification and preparation of African sites towards inscription on the World Heritage List; the conservation and management of sites already inscribed on the World Heritage List; the rehabilitation of sites inscribed on the List of World Heritage in Danger and the training of heritage experts and site managers. Through effective and sustainable management, Africa’s world heritage sites will be catalysts in transforming Africa’s image and act as a vehicle to stimulate economic growth and infrastructure development.
- African universities supporting the safeguarding of World Heritage Wednesday, 28 November 2018
- African World Heritage Day, Message from the Director General Saturday, 5 May 2018
- Academics mobilized for the safeguarding of African World Heritage Thursday, 3 May 2018
- Call for Applications: 3rd African World Heritage Regional Youth Forum 2018 Monday, 26 March 2018
- Job vacancy: African World Heritage Fund Executive Director Wednesday, 31 January 2018
- Call for Applications: regional meeting on transboundary cooperation for effective management of World Heritage sites in Africa 21-Oct-2018
- Open Call for participation in Workshop on World Heritage and Educational Institutions in Africa. Deadline: 14 September 2018 12-Jul-2018-14-Sep-2018
- African World Heritage Day 05-May-2018
- Academics mobilized for the safeguarding of African World Heritage 26-Apr-2018-28-Apr-2018
- Exhibition - African World Heritage: a pathway for development 18-May-2016-14-Jun-2016