This complex was built on the exact spot where, according to tradition, a "celestial lady" dressed in red appeared and asked the local lord to build a pagoda in order to control the subterranean forces and dominate the region. The first true pagoda was built between 1553 and 1613.
Between 1844 and 1846, the seven-storey tower (Phuoc Duyen), 21.24 metres high, was built on the orders of King Thieu Tri. Since then, right up to the present day, further construction and restoration work has followed.
This holy complex is one of the most venerated sites in the city of Hué.