Little Fort of Kikombo
Ministerio da Cultura Instituto Nacional do Patrimonio Cultural
The Tentative Lists of States Parties are published by the World Heritage Centre at its website and/or in working documents in order to ensure transparency, access to information and to facilitate harmonization of Tentative Lists at regional and thematic levels.
The sole responsibility for the content of each Tentative List lies with the State Party concerned. The publication of the Tentative Lists does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever of the World Heritage Committee or of the World Heritage Centre or of the Secretariat of UNESCO concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.
Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party
It is placed in the small bay of Kikombo, in the South of the Province of Kwanza- Sul. The little fort of "Kikombo" is linked to the history of netherlander domination and of portuguese reconquest. There was founded the Help Squadron of the Governor Francisco Soto Mayor in 1645 and later in 1648, the squadron of Salvador Correia, who, from there he left for the restoration of Luanda and Angola. The little fort is also linked to the slaves traffic, so it played the role of the Deposit and the embarkment of slaves that were captured in the factories of the interior, serving as its protection against the attacks made by the natives, showing resistance to the occupation of angolan territory and above all against the negroes (slaves) traffic. It was classified as National Monument by the Provincial Decret n. 21, 12 of January of 1924. It is relatively in good order and it is a state property. The responsibility for its maintenance and preservation concerns the Ministry of Culture.