Historic zone of Basseterre
Larry Armony (Ministry of Education, Labour and Social Security- P.O.Box 333, Cayon St. Basseterre)
The Tentative Lists of States Parties are published by the World Heritage Centre at its website and/or in working documents in order to ensure transparency, access to information and to facilitate harmonization of Tentative Lists at regional and thematic levels.
The sole responsibility for the content of each Tentative List lies with the State Party concerned. The publication of the Tentative Lists does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever of the World Heritage Committee or of the World Heritage Centre or of the Secretariat of UNESCO concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.
Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party
Founded circa 1625 as the first French town in the Caribbean, Basseterre is located on a shelterd bay opening upon an extensive and fertile plain. It became the British capital in 1727. The design of the oldest section is French, while many of the older buildings combine elements of french and English colonial architecture. The town, with a population of some 15000 is the capital of the country of St.Kitts and Nevis, and is the main commercial centre. There are two port facilities- one for cardgo, the other for travellers (mainly cruise ship). The international airport is just two miles from the town centre.