Factors affecting the property in 2003*
Factors* affecting the property identified in previous reports
Proposal for a 32m-high building in the vicinity of the Acropolis
International Assistance: requests for the property until 2003
Total amount approved : 0 USD
Missions to the property until 2003**
Conservation issues presented to the World Heritage Committee in 2003
The Centre has continued in the past months to receive complaints regarding the proposal for a 32m-high building in the vicinity of the Acropolis. The 26th session of the Committee requested the State Party to give urgent consideration to a redefinition of the buffer zone in order to better protect the visual setting of the monument; to undertake a visual impact study, notably concerning the site of the Acropolis; to provide information on any development projects which have an impact on the visual integrity of the World Heritage site; and finally, to submit, by 1 February 2003, a report on these matters. At the time of the preparation of this working document, no report had been received from the authorities.
Summary of the interventions
Decisions adopted by the Committee in 2003
27 COM 7B.67
Acropolis, Athens (Greece)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Regrets that the Greek authorities did not provide the report requested by 1 February 2003 until 2 July 2003;
2. Recalls its request (26 COM 21 (b) 49) that the State Party give urgent consideration to a redefinition of the buffer zone in order to better protect the visual setting of the monument;
3. Further recalls its request (26 COM 21 (b) 49) that the State Party provide information on any development projects, which may impact on the visual integrity of the World Heritage property and undertake a visual impact study, notably concerning the property of the Acropolis;
4. Urges the State Party to prevent any activity which would cause irreversible damage to the outstanding universal value of the property;
5. Requests the State Party to submit a report to the World Heritage Centre by 1 February 2004 in order that the World Heritage Committee can examine the state of conservation of the property at its 28th session in 2004.
Draft Decision: 27 COM 7 (b) 67
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Taking note that the Greek authorities have not provided the report requested by 1 February 2003,
2. Urges the State Party to provide the information requested and to submit a report by 1 February 2004 for review by the 28th session of the World Heritage Committee.
The threats indicated are listed in alphabetical order; their order does not constitute a classification according to the importance of their impact on the property.
Furthermore, they are presented irrespective of the type of threat faced by the property, i.e. with specific and proven imminent danger (“ascertained danger”) or with threats which could have deleterious effects on the property’s Outstanding Universal Value (“potential danger”).