Final Meeting of the Second Cycle of the Periodic Reporting Exercise for Latin America and the Caribbean
In the framework of Document WHC-12/36.COM/10C and Decision 36 COM 10C adopted by the World Heritage Committee at its 36th session (Saint Petersburg, 2012), the final meeting of the Second Cycle of the Periodic Reporting Exercise for Latin America and the Caribbean will take place in Santiago de Chile, Chile from 3-5 December 2012.
As the final meeting for the Region, it will involve the participation of more than one hundred people, among then focal points, site managers and Ambassadors representing twenty-five countries from the three sub-regions in Latin America and the Caribbean – the Caribbean, South America, and Central America and Mexico. This follows on from a cycle of sub regional meetings held in Santo Domingo, Mexico and Brazil. Sub regional organizations and the Advisory Bodies will participate in the event as well.
The organization of this meeting is the result of the significant effort carried out by the World Heritage Centre, Chilean national institutions (Chilean Government, Ministry of External relations, Ministry of Education, Ministry of Culture, National Monuments Board and the Direction of Libraries, Archives and Museums), with support provided by the Latin America and the Caribbean Unit of the World Heritage Centreand the UNESCO Office in Santiago.
The primary objectives of this meeting will be the development of the 2013-2020 Regional Action Plan and also the preparation of a final report on the results of the Second Cycle to be presented to the World Heritage Committee at its 37th session in 2013. The meeting will also present the opportunity to identify priority lines and projects for regional cooperation relating to World Heritage.
The meeting will be held at the Campus of one of the main universities of the country: la Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, in Santiago.
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-12/36.COM/10C,
2. Recalling decisions 28 COM 16, 7 EXT.COM 5E, 29 COM 5, 30 COM 11E, 32 COM 11D, 34 COM 10B.2 and 35 COM 10B adopted at its 28th (Suzhou, 2004), 7th extraordinary (UNESCO, 2004),29th (Durban, 2005), 30th (Vilnius, 2006), 32nd (Quebec City, 2008), 34th (Brasilia, 2010) and 35th (UNESCO, 2011) sessions, respectively,
3. Acknowledges the information provided on the progress made in the implementation of the second cycle of the Periodic Reporting exercise in the Latin America and the Caribbean Region (LAC) and commends the States Parties for their efforts to achieve objectives in accordance with the approved calendar;
4. Commends the States Parties of the LAC Region for their active involvement and commitment to the Periodic Reporting exercise;
5. Thanks the States Parties of Dominican Republic, Brazil and Mexico for their financial and in-kind contributions to the organization of sub-regional meetings;
6. Welcomes the financial collaboration for the Periodic Reporting exercise provided by the Spanish Funds-in-Trust for World Heritage, Category 2 Centres, States Parties and Advisory Bodies, and encourages them to continue to provide assistance for the implementation of the process;
7. Takes note of the progress made by the Qhapaq Ñan project, coordinated by the World Heritage Centre, and for the fruitful cooperation between national institutions from the various States Parties to develop it further as a best practice for other transnational and serial nominations, as requested by Decision 31 COM.12B;
8. Requests the States Parties of the Latin America and the Caribbean Region to complete and submit the Periodic Reporting questionnaires to the World Heritage Centre by 31 July 2012;
9. Also requests the World Heritage Centre to submit a final report on the results of the Second Cycle of the Periodic Reporting exercise for Latin America and the Caribbean for examination by the World Heritage Committee at its 37th session in 2013.Read more about the decision