The UIA (International Union of Architects) marked the World Architecture Day on Monday 5 October by holding a live webinar to discuss this year’s theme: “Toward a better urban future”.
Moderated by UIA President Thomas Vonier and UIA Secretary General Serban Tiganas, the webinar began with a virtual roundtable which included the UN Habitat Assistant Secretary General and Executive Director Victor Kisob, Deputy Director for the World Heritage Centre at UNESCO Jyoti Hosagrahar and Kai-Uwe Bergmann, Architect, Partner, Business Development of BIG-Bjarke Ingels Group.
Six panels of global experts then discussed how architects and professionals in related fields can address the challenges facing today’s cities: Water and Sanitation, Public Spaces, Air Quality and Housing followed by a conversation about how architects can assist in the realisation of SDG (Sustainable Development Goal) Number 11, "Sustainable Cities and Communities".
Other confirmed speakers include:
- Georg Pendl, the President of the Architects' Council of Europe (ACE)
- Max Maurer, Scientist & Professor at Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETH)
- Joseph Kwan, director of Region IV (Asia) UIA Work Programme Architecture for All
- Ishtiaque Zahir and Natalie Mossin, Co-directors of the UIA SDG Commission
- Magda Mostafa, Co-director of the UIA Education Commission
- Nadia Tromp, Director of the UIA Community Architecture Work Programme.