Decision : 27 COM 7B.52
Kathmandu Valley (Nepal)
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Expresses its appreciation to the State Party for receiving the Second High Level Mission;
2. Notes with grave concern that the traditional elements of heritage of six of the seven Monument Zones had been partially or significantly lost since the time of inscription, resulting in a general loss of authenticity and integrity of the property as a whole;
3. Notes furthermore with concern that although the responsibleconcerned authorities have made efforts with some positive results, the threat of uncontrolled development has persisted, which continuously decreases the urban landscape and architectural fabric of the property;
4. Decides to inscribe the Kathmandu Valley property on the List of World Heritage in Danger, and simultaneously recommends that the State Party legally redefine the core and support zones of all Monument Zones, accompanied with management mechanisms to adequately conserve the remaining World Heritage value of the property in the long -term. Corrective measures should continue to address the illegal activities in the future core and support zones;
5. Requests the World Heritage Centre and the Advisory Bodies in consultation with the State Party to organize a mission to Kathmandu Valley to assess the remaining World Heritage value of the property, the state of conservation of the monumental ensembles and the vernacular fabric within the property, and for the report of this mission to be submitted by 1 February 2004 for examination by the World Heritage Committee at its 28th session in 2004;
6. Decides to consider whether or not to delete the property from the World Heritage List at its 28th session in 2004, upon examining the report from the World Heritage Centre and Advisory Bodies mission and the assessment of the loss of World Heritage value at Kathmandu Valley.
DocumentsDecisions adopted by the 27th Session of the World Heritage Committee in 2003" > WHC-03/27.COM/24
Context of DecisionWHC-03/27.COM/7B
Other Documents (2)Report of the Second High Level Mission to ...
Rapport de la seconde mission de haut niveau ...
2003 Kathmandu Valley