The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-08/32.COM/7B,
2. Recalling Decision 31 COM 7B.51, adopted at its 31st session (Christchurch, 2007),
3. Notes with satisfaction that the preparation of the management and conservation plan has begun with the involvement of a large number of stakeholders, and encourages the State Party to finalize this work as soon as possible;
4. Reiterates its concern that few satisfactory solutions have been found concerning alterations to buildings, drainage problems, and problems being faced by the archaeological sites;
5. Requests the World Heritage Centre, in the framework of the World Heritage Earthen Architecture Programme to initiate a pilot project for conservation in the Old Towns of Djenné;
6. Calls upon the international donor community and conservation specialists to provide technical assistance and/or funding for the implementation of a pilot project for the conservation of earthen architecture in Djenné;
7. Also requests the State Party to submit to the World Heritage Centre, by 1 February 2010, a report on the state of conservation of the property and progress achieved with regard to the improvement in the changes made on the built environment, drainage problems, and problems facing the archaeological sites, for examination by the World Heritage Committee at its 34th session in 2010.