Historic Centre of Rome, the Properties of the Holy See in that City Enjoying Extraterritorial Rights and San Paolo Fuori le Mura

Historic Centre of Rome, the Properties of the Holy See in that City Enjoying Extraterritorial Rights and San Paolo Fuori le Mura

Founded, according to legend, by Romulus and Remus in 753 BC, Rome was first the centre of the Roman Republic, then of the Roman Empire, and it became the capital of the Christian world in the 4th century. The World Heritage site, extended in 1990 to the walls of Urban VIII, includes some of the major monuments of antiquity such as the Forums, the Mausoleum of Augustus, the Mausoleum of Hadrian, the Pantheon, Trajan’s Column and the Column of Marcus Aurelius, as well as the religious and public buildings of papal Rome.

Centre historique de Rome, les biens du Saint-Siège situés dans cette ville bénéficiant des droits d'extra-territorialité et Saint-Paul-hors-les-Murs

Fondée selon la légende par Romulus et Remus en 753 av. J.-C., la ville de Rome a d’abord été le centre de la République romaine, puis de l’Empire romain, et enfin la capitale du monde chrétien au IVe siècle. Le site du patrimoine mondial, étendu en 1990 jusqu’aux murs d’Urbain VIII, comporte quelques-uns des principaux monuments de l’Antiquité tels que les forums et le mausolée d’Auguste, les colonnes de Trajan et de Marc Aurèle, le mausolée d’Hadrien, le Panthéon, ainsi que les édifices religieux et publics de la Rome papale.

وسط روما التاريخي، أملاك الكرسي الرسولي الواقع في هذه المدينة والتي تتمتع بحقوق الحصانة السياسية وسان بول فيوري لي مورا

تأسست روما بحسب الأسطورة على يد رومولوس وريموس في العام 753 ق.م. وكانت أولاً مركزًا للجمهورية الرومانية ثم للامبراطورية الرومانية وأخيرًا عاصمة للعالم المسيحي في القرن الرابع. فالموقع الأثري المدرج في قائمة التراث العالمي الذي وسّع في العام 1990حتى جدران "أوربان 8"، يتضمن بعضًا من النصب الأساسية العائدة إلى العصور القديمة مثل الميادين وضريح "أغسطس" وعواميد "تراجان" و"ماركوس أوريلوس"، وضريح "هادريان" ، والبانثيون، بالإضافة إلى النصب الدينية والعامة في المدينة البابوية.

source: UNESCO/ERI

罗马历史中心,享受治外法权的罗马教廷建筑和缪拉圣保罗弗利

根据神话传说,罗马城由罗穆卢斯和瑞摩斯于公元前753年修建。罗马首先作为罗马共和国的首都,后来是罗马帝国的都城,再后来到了公元4世纪,这里则成了整个基督教世界的中心。1990年,这个世界遗产地的范围扩大到了罗马八区的城墙。该文化遗址包括了一些著名的古代建筑,例如:古罗马广场、奥古斯都的陵墓、哈德良的陵墓、万神殿、图拉真柱、马可·奥里利乌斯柱,以及罗马教皇的许多宗教和公共建筑。

source: UNESCO/ERI

Исторический центр Рима и владения Ватикана, пользующиеся правами экстерриториальности, включая церковь Сан-Паоло-Фуори-ле-Мура

Рим, согласно легенде основанный братьями Ромулом и Рэмом в 753 г. до н.э., был сначала центром Римской республики, затем – Римской империи, а в IV в. стал столицей христианского мира. Объект всемирного наследия, расширенный в 1990 г. до стен Урбана VIII, включает несколько важных памятников античности, таких как форумы, мавзолей Августа, мавзолей Адриана, Пантеон, колонна Траяна и колонна Марка Аврелия, а также религиозные и общественные здания папского Рима.

source: UNESCO/ERI

Centro Histórico de Roma, los bienes de la Santa Sede beneficiarios del derecho de extraterritorialidad situados en la ciudad y San Pablo Extramuros

Fundada por Rómulo y Remo en el año 753 a.C. según reza la leyenda, Roma fue en un principio la capital de la República y el Imperio romanos y, a partir del siglo IV, la del orbe cristiano. El sitio del Patrimonio Mundial, ampliado en 1990 hasta las murallas de Urbano VIII, comprende algunos de los principales monumentos de la Antigüedad como los foros, los mausoleos de Augusto y Adriano, las columnas de Trajano y Marco Aurelio y el Panteón, y también los edificios públicos y religiosos de la Roma papal.

source: UNESCO/ERI

ローマ歴史地区、教皇領とサン・パオロ・フオーリ・レ・ムーラ大聖堂

source: NFUAJ

Historisch centrum van Rome, de eigendommen van de Heilige Stoel in die stad die extraterritoriale rechten genieten en San Paolo Fuori le Mura

Rome is volgens de legende gesticht door Romulus en Remus in 753 voor Christus. De oude stad was het eerste centrum van de Romeinse Republiek, later van het Romeinse Rijk en in de 4e eeuw werd het de hoofdstad van de christelijke wereld. Het Werelderfgoed – in 1990 uitgebreid tot de muren van paus Urbanus VIII – omvat een aantal van de belangrijkste monumenten van de oudheid. Hieronder vallen de fora, het mausoleum van Augustus, het mausoleum van Hadrianus, het Pantheon, de zuil van Trajanus, de zuil van Marcus Aurelius en de religieuze en openbare gebouwen van het pauselijke Rome.

Source: unesco.nl

  • English
  • French
  • Arabic
  • Chinese
  • Russian
  • Spanish
  • Japanese
  • Dutch
Historic centre of Roma © OUR PLACE The World Heritage Collection
Long Description

The extraterritorial properties of the Holy See that make up this World Heritage site comprise a series of unique artistic achievements - Santa Maria Maggiore, St John Lateran and St Paul Outside the Walls. These properties exerted considerable influence on the development of architecture and monumental arts throughout the centuries in a large part of the Christian world.

The Lateran Treaty concluded in 1929 between Italy and the Holy See established that a number of properties termed 'extraterritorial' and situated on Italian soil remained the exclusive property of the Holy See. In addition to the three great churches, there are several remarkable palaces: the Cancelleria (1483-1517), the Palazzo Maffei, the Palazzo di San Callisto and lastly, the Palazzo di Propaganda Fide, renovated by Bernini and Borromini.

The Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore is one of the four greater basilicas of Rome, of greatest artistic importance, religious and urban planning. In papal Rome it became one of the fulcrums of the urban plan of Sixtus V. The basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore, with its typical bell tower and the cupolas, is a characteristic element of the Roman scene. Characteristic of the basilica is the quality and the abundance of the mosaics: those of the nave (36 panels) and those of the arch dated back to the 5th century, while those of the apse have been finished in 1295. The beautiful rear facade, the work of Carl Rainaldi (1673), is one of the most solemn realizations of the Baroque architecture.

San Giovanni in Laterano was the first cathedral of Rome, where Emperor Constantine allowed the pope to set up the episcopal chair after 312. Popes lived in the Lateran Palace until Clement V (1305-14) transferred the papal seat to Avignon. The present name is a result of the importance of the baptistry in the church, and of the presence of a Benedictine monastery dedicated to saints John the Baptist and John the Evangelist. It had five naves; the exterior was simple, but the interior was lavishly decorated. The first major restoration was ordered by Pope Saint Sergius (687-701). Pope Sergius III (904-11) had the basilica completely rebuilt because of the earthquake damage. The old foundations were used, and it was built within the old perimeter. It was after this rebuilding that it was formally dedicated to St John the Baptist. The additional dedication to St John the Evangelist was made by Pope Lucius II (1144-45). In 1646, the basilica was in danger of collapsing. Pope Innocent X gave the task of restoring it to Borromini, in preparation for the Holy Year of 1650. It was during Borromini's restoration that the church was given its Baroque appearance.

San Paolo fuori le Mura is one of the four patriarchal basilicas of Rome built at the request of Constantine in 314 and later enlarged. In 1823, after being almost completely destroyed by fire, it was rebuilt by the architect Poletti and finished in 1854. The interior of the current basilica has 80 monolithic columns of Montorfano granite divided into five naves. On the upper part of the walls closed by slabs of Egyptian alabaster between big windows there are 36 frescoes with the scenes from the life of St Paul. Underneath the wall the frieze extends to the entire medium aisle. Against the internal wall of the facade there are six large alabaster columns presented by the Viceroy of Egypt to Gregory XVI.

Source: UNESCO/CLT/WHC
Notes
  • At the time the property was extended, cultural criterion (iv) was also found applicable.