Cultural Landscape of Sintra

Cultural Landscape of Sintra

In the 19th century Sintra became the first centre of European Romantic architecture. Ferdinand II turned a ruined monastery into a castle where this new sensitivity was displayed in the use of Gothic, Egyptian, Moorish and Renaissance elements and in the creation of a park blending local and exotic species of trees. Other fine dwellings, built along the same lines in the surrounding serra , created a unique combination of parks and gardens which influenced the development of landscape architecture throughout Europe.

Paysage culturel de Sintra

Sintra devint, au XIXe siècle, le premier haut lieu de l'architecture romantique européenne. Ferdinand II y transforma les ruines d'un monastère en château où la nouvelle sensibilité s'exprima par l'utilisation d'éléments gothiques, égyptiens, maures et de la Renaissance, et par la création d'un parc mêlant essences locales et exotiques. D'autres résidences de prestige bâties sur le même modèle dans la serra alentour firent de ce site un ensemble unique de parcs et de jardins qui influença l'aménagement des paysages en Europe.

المنظر الثقافي في سينترا

أصبحت سينترا في القرن التاسع عشر المحجة الأولى للهندسة المعمارية الرومنطيقية الأوروبية. وقد حوّل فردينان الثاني آثار أحد أديرتها الى قصر يتجلى فيه الحس المرهف الجديد في استعمال العناصر القوطية والمصرية والمورية وتلك الخاصة بعصر النهضة وفي إنشاء منتزه يحوي مزيجاً من الورود العطرية المحلية والغريبة. كما تم تشييد منازل أخرى رفيعة المستوى على النسق نفسه في الجبال المحيطة حوّلت هذا الموقع الى مجموعة فريدة من المنتزهات والحدائق التي أثرت في تصميم المناظر الطبيعية في أوروبا.

source: UNESCO/ERI

辛特拉文化景观

辛特拉是19世纪第一块云集欧洲浪漫主义建筑的土地。费迪南德二世把被毁坏的教堂改建成了一座城堡,这一建筑集中了哥特式、埃及式、摩尔式和文艺复兴时期的建筑特点,同时在城堡的公园里把许多国外树种与本地树木混合栽种。该地还有许多其他精美的建筑,全都倚着周围的山脉而建,这些公园和庭院景致交相辉映,美不胜收,对整个欧洲的景观建筑设计发展产生了重大影响。

source: UNESCO/ERI

Культурный ландшафт Синтры

В XIX в. Синтра стала первым центром европейского романтизма. Фердинанд I превратил разрушенный монастырь в замок, где это новое направление проявились в использовании элементов готики, египетского, мавританского стилей и Возрождения, а также в создании парка, сочетавшего местные и экзотические виды деревьев. Другие прекрасные здания, построенные в том же духе на прилегающих горных склонах, дополнили этот уникальный комплекс парков и садов, повлиявший на ландшафтную архитектуру всей Европы.

source: UNESCO/ERI

Paisaje cultural de Cintra

En el siglo XIX Cintra se convirtió en el primer centro importante de la arquitectura romántica europea. El rey Fernando II transformó en palacio un monasterio ruinoso, recurriendo a la utilización de elementos arquitectónicos góticos, egipcios, moriscos y renacentistas que expresaban la nueva sensibilidad estética de la época, y creó un parque en el que se mezclaban las especies vegetales locales con las exóticas. La construcción de otras residencias señoriales en la sierra circundante, inspiradas en este modelo, dotó a Cintra de un conjunto único de parques y jardines que ejerció una gran influencia en el arte paisajístico europeo.

source: UNESCO/ERI

シントラの文化的景観

source: NFUAJ

Cultuurlandschap van Sintra

Het cultuurlandschap van de 'Serra' en de stad Sintra vertegenwoordigen een baanbrekende manier van het creëren van een Romantisch landschap. Hierdoor werd Sintra het eerste middelpunt van Europese Romantische landschapsarchitectuur in de 19e eeuw. Ferdinand II bouwde een vervallen klooster om tot een kasteel waar deze nieuwe gevoeligheid werd weergegeven in gotische, Egyptische, Moorse en Renaissance elementen en in het creëren van een park met een mengeling van lokale en exotische boomsoorten. Andere mooie woningen – gebouwd langs dezelfde lijnen van de omliggende Serra – schiepen een unieke combinatie van parken en tuinen die de landschapsarchitectuur in heel Europa hebben beïnvloed.

Source: unesco.nl

  • English
  • French
  • Arabic
  • Chinese
  • Russian
  • Spanish
  • Japanese
  • Dutch
Long Description

The cultural landscape of the Serra and the town of Sintra represents a pioneering approach to Romantic landscaping that had an outstanding influence on developments elsewhere in Europe. It is a unique example of the cultural occupation of a specific location that has maintained its essential integrity as the representation of diverse successive cultures. Its structures harmonize indigenous flora with a refined and cultivated landscape created by man as a result of literary and artistic influences. Its integrity is fragile and vulnerable to neglect and unsympathetic management and use.

The Serra stands out from the relatively flat surrounding landscape, its highest point being the Crux Alta. There are slight local variations and three ecological areas relevant to the cultural landscape: an area of pinewood, a natural forest of various species (oak, pine, chestnut), and an area colonized by the forest tree species plus olives.

The 'Sacred Mountains' of Varro and Columela and Ptolemy's 'Mountain of the Moon' enclose various significant man-made parks and gardens: the Parque de Pena, begun by Ferdinand II around 1840. Alongside the indigenous vegetation there are many exotic species. There are some startling contrasts: the Convento dos Capuchos, with monastic asceticism at its most extreme, lies close to the most sophisticated residences of the court. The whole park including the Tapada do Mocha and the Moorish castle is enclosed by a stone wall. The higher ground is covered with oak, cypress, pine woodland, and more classical gardens, with parterres and some remarkable specimens. Among the most notable features of these gardens are the Garden of the Camellias and the 'English Garden'.

Although almost all the built heritage was destroyed in the 1755 earthquake, there are some outstanding court and military buildings, examples of religious architecture and archaeological sites.

The Royal Palace is undoubtedly the dominant architectural feature of Sintra, situated in the centre of the town. Probably constructed on the site of the Moorish Alcazar, its buildings result from two main periods (15th-16th centuries). The interior contains much painted and tiled decoration, but one of the most important features is the facing with tiles (azulejos ), the finest example of this Mudejar technique on the Iberian Peninsula. The Pena Palace, high on a peak in the Serra, is a work of pure Romanticism, designed by the Portuguese architect Possidónio da Silva. Within the 19th-century palace are the church, cloister and refectory of the monastery, richly decorated. The Palace of Montserrate was designed for Sir Francis Cook by the distinguished British architect, James Knowles Jr. It is an example of mid-19th-century eclecticism, and it combines neo-Gothicism with substantial elements derived from the architecture of India. Montserrate is renowned for its gardens. The planned gardens are surrounded by a semi-natural oak forest.

The earliest structure on the site of the Quinta da Penha Verde was built by the great 16th century Portuguese captain and viceroy, João de Castro and enlarged by his heirs and successors. The ensemble is somewhat austere but has a harmony of its own. The Palace of Ribafrias is in the centre of the town and was built in 1514 by the Royal Great Chamberlain, Gaspar Gonçalves. Its original rather severe lines have been softened by subsequent alterations, such as the insertion of Manueline and Pombaline windows into the facade. The Moorish Castle, high on a peak of the Serra, may be of Visigothic origin; it was certainly being used in the 9th century, during the Moorish occupation. It was finally abandoned with the successful Reconquest of Portugal from the Moors. Now in ruins, the remains of its barbican, keep and walls vividly illustrate the problems of constructing a fortress on a rocky outcrop of this kind. Other buildings in this group are the Palace of Seteals, the Quinta de Regaleira and the Town Hall.

The Trinity Convent of the Arrabalde was founded by a group of monks from the Trinity Convent in Lisbon in 1374, but replaced with a century later. The small cloister dates from 1570 and the church largely from the later 18th century. Other churches in the town are Santa Maria, São Martinho, São Miguel, the former São Pedro de Canaferrim parish church inside the Moorish Castle, and the Church of Nossa Senhora da Misericórdia.

Source: UNESCO/CLT/WHC
Historical Description

Its favourable climate, fertile soil, and proximity to the River Tagus have attracted human settlement in this area from early times. There are archaeological sites in the area dating from the early Neolithic (5tn millennium BC), Neolithic-Chalcolithic transition (3rd millennium BC), Beaker (3rd-2nd millennium BC), Bronze Age (15th-6th centuries BC), and Iron Age (4th-2nd centuries BC).

The Roman occupation began in the mid-2nd century BC, when the area formed part of the territorium of the Roman town of Olisipo (modern Lisbon). The local inhabitants embraced the Roman way of life with enthusiasm, and there are indications that there was a Roman settlement on the site of the modern town of Sintra. In the late Roman and Bvzantine period, archaeological discoveries demonstrate commercial links with North Africa.

The first written references to the settlement of Sintra date from the period of Moorish occupation, when it is describe as being a dependency of Lisbon. Others qualify it as the most important centre In the region after Lisbon. The town and its castle were devastated several times during the Reconquest. It was first liberated by Alfonso VI of Leon in 1093, but recaptured by the Moors two years later. Sintra finally yielded to King Afonzo Henriques after the conquest of Lisbon in 1147, and seven years later was awarded its charter as a concelho (commune). The territory covered by the charter was very large, and was divided into four parishes. The inhabitants Of the early town were of several races, but they Quickly lost their individual identities to become saloios, the term used to describe the mixed-race population in the towns around Lisbon.

After the suppression of the Templars in 1181 the lands granted to them by Afonso Henriques passed to the Order of Christ, which replaced them in Portugal. During the crisis of 1383-85 Sintra was one of the last towns to yield to João, and as a result it was deprived of the Queen's House, Which had been granted to it by King Dinis. Afonso built an imposing Royal Palace there which served as the Royal summer residence until the late 16th century.

In the late 15th century Sintra was closely associated with one of the greatest Queens of Portugal, Leonor, widow of João, the "Perfect prince". However, it was under the patronage of Manuel I that the town became indissolubly linked with the Crown: he caused the Royal palace to be substantially enlarged and founded the Monastery Of Nossa Senhora da Penha, from which he watched the return of Vasco de Gama from his historic voyage. Succeeding monarchs spent much time in the town, and legend has It that King Sebastião listened to Camões reading his great epic poem Os Lusiadas there.

After the Restoration of 1640 Sintra lost this link and the Royal palace served only as a prison for Afonso VI. This neglect lasted until the early 19th century, when the town began to attract the Portuguese upper classes, following the distinguished foreigners who had begun to visit it. It was not until the middle of the century that Fernando II, consort of Maria II, inspired by Romanticism, converted the ruined Hieronymite monastery into a fine palace, which brought many wealthy foreign people to the area.

The artistic and historic qualities of the town and its surroundings were properly appreciated and jealously protected in the ensuing decades. In the past decade a vigorous cultural policy has been developed for the study and presentation of the area's historical heritage.

Source: Advisory Body Evaluation
Activities (1)