Promoting and Preserving Congolese Heritage
UNESCO Conference 16-17 September at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris to evaluate the current status and future needs of the World Heritage Centre / UNF project: "Biodiversity Conservation in Regions of Armed Conflict: Protecting World Heritage in the Democratic Republic of the Congo".
Co-sponsored by the Government of Belgium and the Government of Japan, this conference aims to raise global awareness of the critical situation of the 5 Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) World Heritage sites, and establish a means of securing support to ensure the sites' long-term sustainable protection. We also hope to announce new and renewed partnership pledges during the conference. Other events during the conference will include:
- Exhibition (10-26 September) A major exhibition on the cultural and natural heritage of the DRC will be held at UNESCO curated by the Royal Museum for Central Africa, Tervuren, thanks to the support of the Government of Belgium.
- Technical workshops (13-15 September) will review major conservation issues in regions of armed conflict and lessons learned from the experience developed in the 5 World Heritage Sites in DRC. The role of the private sector in conservation will also be explored.
- Congolese Music Concert (23 September) Talented artists of the "Congolese rumba" including; Elima de Maître Nono, Kékélé and Makoutano will perform to raise funds for the protection of the five World Heritage sites in DRC.
Other news (2)
- Rescuing the Congo's natural world heritage Friday, January 7, 2011
- Director-General urges systematic measures to end poaching and killing of endangered animals in Democratic Republic of Congo World Heritage Sites Thursday, April 26, 2007