Fortress of the immaculate Conception
Nicaraguan Institute of Culture
The Secretariat of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the World Heritage Centre do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information or documentation provided by the States Parties to the World Heritage Convention to the Secretariat of UNESCO or to the World Heritage Centre.
The publication of any such advice, opinion, statement or other information documentation on the World Heritage Centre’s website and/or on working documents also does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of UNESCO or of the World Heritage Centre concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.
Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party
The monument is a 17th century (1673) Military Campaign Fortress found within the limits of an area considered as a Biosphere Reserve (Indio-Maiz Reserve). It is surrounded by a town (El Castillo) of approximately 1000 inhabitants, located in a promontory of the San Juan river between the Great Lake of Nicaragua and the - Caribbean Sea. The site was part of the line of Spanish fortifications of the Caribbean established in order to fight against the pirate attacks. It was of utmost importance for the defense of the Province of Nicaragua which faced the interest of the English Crown which saught to dominate the Sea of the South.