Fortress of the immaculate Conception
Nicaraguan Institute of Culture
The Tentative Lists of States Parties are published by the World Heritage Centre at its website and/or in working documents in order to ensure transparency, access to information and to facilitate harmonization of Tentative Lists at regional and thematic levels.
The sole responsibility for the content of each Tentative List lies with the State Party concerned. The publication of the Tentative Lists does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever of the World Heritage Committee or of the World Heritage Centre or of the Secretariat of UNESCO concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.
Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party
The monument is a 17th century (1673) Military Campaign Fortress found within the limits of an area considered as a Biosphere Reserve (Indio-Maiz Reserve). It is surrounded by a town (El Castillo) of approximately 1000 inhabitants, located in a promontory of the San Juan river between the Great Lake of Nicaragua and the - Caribbean Sea. The site was part of the line of Spanish fortifications of the Caribbean established in order to fight against the pirate attacks. It was of utmost importance for the defense of the Province of Nicaragua which faced the interest of the English Crown which saught to dominate the Sea of the South.