Year of inscription on the World Heritage List 1988
Year(s) of inscription on the List of World Heritage in Danger N/A
Previous Committee Decisions see page https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/381/documents/
Requests approved: 0
Total amount approved: USD 0
For details, see page https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/381/assistance/
UNESCO Extra-budgetary Funds
Previous monitoring missions
February-March 2002: ICOMOS monitoring mission
Factors affecting the property identified in previous reports
Illustrative material see page https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/381/
Conservation issues presented to the World Heritage Committee in 2003
According to information received by the World Heritage Centre in 2002, Caja Duero desisted from building the auditorium in the Huerta de las Adoratrices, thus following the recommendation of the World Heritage Committee. However, according to several newspaper articles sent to the Centre by ICOMOS-Spain in September-October 2002, Caja Duero still has the intention to build the auditorium, which is fully supported by the Regional Government (Junta de Castilla y León). On 22 October 2002, a letter was sent to the Spanish Permanent Delegation to express concern about the uncertainty created about the future use of the Huerto de las Adoratrices. Although there are signs that the original project of the auditorium in the Adoratrices will not be carried out, on 6 September 2002 the General Assembly of Caja Duero approved the creation of a Foundation to promote cultural and social activities. According to a regional newspaper (Norte de Castilla, 7 September 2002), this Foundation will have its seat in the now so-called ‘Complejo de las Adoratrices’, implying that a new project for the Auditorium will be presented. At the time of the preparation of this working document, no report from the authorities had been received concerning this issue.
ICOMOS underlined its opposition to this project, stating that the insertion of a modern building would be a regrettable intrusion, which would seriously jeopardize the extraordinary atmosphere of history and learning of the historic centre.
Analysis and Conclusions of the World Heritage Centre, ICOMOS and ICCROM
Decision Adopted: 27 COM 7B.76
The World Heritage Committee ,
1. Taking note that the Spanish authorities have not provided any official information concerning the current state of the constructions plans for the Auditorium,;
2. Recalling that the walled garden of the Adoratrices is an integral part of the protected core area of the property ‘Old City of Salamanca',;
3. Recalling further that when inscribing the property in 1988, the Committee requested the Spanish authorities to take all possible steps to ensure that the laws concerning the protection of the town be strictly applied,;
4. Recalling finally its decision (26 COM 21(b) 69) taken at its 26th session in 2002 that the State Party avoid minor modifications to the present safeguarding plan and elaborate a new adapted and sustainable management plan,;
5. Urges the State Party to elaborate a management plan that also ensures the preservation of open places within the protected area;
6. Requests the State Party to provide to the World Heritage Centre by 1 February 2004 a report on these issues in order that the World Heritage Committee can examine the state of conservation of the property at its 28th session in 2004.
 Decision adopted without discussion.