Year of inscription on the World Heritage List 1979
Year(s) of inscription on the List of World Heritage in Danger N/A
Previous Committee Decisions see page https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/115/documents/
Requests approved: 0
Total amount approved: USD 13,321
For details, see page https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/115/assistance/
UNESCO Extra-budgetary Funds
Previous monitoring missions
September 1995: ICCROM mission; January 2002: World Heritage Centre mission; July 2002: joint mission of an urban planning expert and ICOMOS
Factors affecting the property identified in previous reports
Illustrative material see page https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/115/
Conservation issues presented to the World Heritage Committee in 2003
Within the project "Urban Conservation of Meidan Emam site-monitoring the state of conservation and co-operation between local and national authorities of the World Heritage site", supported by the UNESCO-France Convention for cultural heritage, a joint mission by the urban planning expert from France and ICOMOS took place from 4 to 11 July 2002. The mission concluded that the plans for the development and expansion of the urban centre required a comprehensive and integrated urban planning approach and recommended the elaboration of a plan to protect the city centre by controlling the height of the buildings.
The mission underscored that the protection of the Meidan Emam should not be considered in an isolated manner, and the extension of the protective buffer zone around the site should be envisaged for long-term protection of the historic urban morphology and fabric of Esfahan. Finally, the expert mission recommended that the four top storeys of the Jahan Nama real estate complex be removed as a compromise solution to retain the integrity of the skyline of the historic centre of Esfahan. In March 2003, the Government informed the Centre that a compromise solution had been agreed upon between the national and local authorities to reduce the height of the commercial complex.
Analysis and Conclusions of the World Heritage Centre, ICOMOS and ICCROM
Decision Adopted: 27 COM 7B.48
The World Heritage Committee ,
1. Expresses its appreciation to the State Party for favourably considering the recommendations of the joint international urban planning expert and ICOMOS mission of July 2002;
2. Notes with appreciation that a compromise solution is being elaborated between the national and local authorities to reduce the height of the commercial complex to minimize the negative impact of this high rise building to the World Heritage property;
3. Requests the authorities of Iran to continue their efforts to ensure the conservation of the authentic setting and integrity of the historic city of Esfahan surrounding the Meidan Emam World Heritage property;
4. Requests the Secretariat to continue to co-operate closely with the Iranian authorities in the organization of a stakeholders' meeting in Esfahan, supported by the Government of France;
5. Decides to examine the state of conservation of the property at its 28th session in 2004.
 Decision adopted without discussion.