Year of inscription on the World Heritage List 1979
Year(s) of inscription on the List of World Heritage in Danger 1979-present
Previous Committee Decisions see page https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/125/documents/
Requests approved: 0
Total amount approved: USD 70,000
For details, see page https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/125/assistance/
UNESCO Extra-budgetary Funds
Previous monitoring missions
March-April 2003: joint UNESCO/ICOMOS monitoring mission
Factors affecting the property identified in previous reports
Illustrative material see page https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/125/
Conservation issues presented to the World Heritage Committee in 2003
A joint UNESCO-ICOMOS mission was requested by the 26th session of the Committee in order to evaluate the restoration of the site and its current state of conservation. The joint UNESCO-ICOMOS mission to the site has been undertaken from 25 March to 3 April 2003. The full report of the mission is contained in information document WHC-03/27.COM/INF.7B.
The mission concluded that in spite of heavy losses caused by the 1979 earthquake and subsequent urbanization with the ensuing results, the Natural and Culturo-Historical Region of Kotor has maintained the substance of all values for which it was inscribed on the World Heritage List.
The inclusion in the List of World Heritage in Danger in 1979 was motivated by serious damages caused by the devastating earthquake. The most valuable monuments and historical buildings, especially those situated in the historic centre of Kotor, have been repaired by means of qualified conservation and partial reconstruction. As the conditions for which the site was included in the List of World Heritage in Danger no longer exist, the site could now be removed from that List.
The mission furthermore recommended a) to continue systematically the restoration work undertaken during the past 24 years, also of architecturally less important historical buildings, and b) to take appropriate measures for the effective protection of thecultural landscape, which isindispensable for the character of the site.
It also further recommended preparing, specifically for the World Heritage site, a management plan in compliance with the existing legislation. This management plan could be defined by a Round Table meeting that would gather all stakeholders and representatives from UNESCO and ICOMOS. The mission further recommended that the Government appoint a site coordinator and confer upon him the necessary authority to enact the implementation of the site management plan.
Analysis and Conclusions of the World Heritage Centre, ICOMOS and ICCROM
Decision Adopted: 27 COM 7A.27
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Acknowledges the results of the international UNESCO/ICOMOS mission to the property providing updated information;
2. Notes that the threats for which the property was included on the List of World Heritage in Danger in 1979, namely the partial destruction due to an earthquake, have been mitigated through professional restoration;
3. Expresses its concern about the risks that excessive and uncontrolled urbanisation have on the exceptional universal value of the property;
4. Requests the State Party to take into account the specific recommendations from the mission, in particular to prepare a management plan for the World Heritage area, and to appoint a property co-ordinator;
5. Endorses the proposal for a Round Table, to be organised in co-operation with the World Heritage Centre and , ICOMOS and ICCROMUCN, in order to include all stakeholders in the management planning; (MR has a question on this.22/10/03)
6. Requests an update report on progress made to be submitted to the World Heritage Centre by 1 February 2004, including a deadline for the submission of the management plan, for examination by the World Heritage Committee at its 28th session in 2004;
7. Decides to remove the property from the List of World Heritage in Danger.
Decision Adopted: 27 COM 8B.3
The World Heritage Committee,
1. Following examination of state of conservation reports of properties on the List of World Heritage in Danger (WHC-03/27.COM/7A),;
2. Decides to remove the following properties from the List of World Heritage in Danger: