Year of inscription on the World Heritage List 2003
Year(s) of inscription on the List of World Heritage in Danger N/A
Previous Committee Decisions see page https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1090/documents/
Requests approved: 0
Total amount approved: USD 0
For details, see page https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1090/assistance/
UNESCO Extra-budgetary Funds
Previous monitoring missions
Factors affecting the property identified in previous reports
Management (issue resolved)
Illustrative material see page https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1090/
Conservation issues presented to the World Heritage Committee in 2013
Further to Decision 34 COM 8B.6, Italy and Switzerland submitted, on 6 February 2013, a detailed joint report providing information on the establishment of a Transnational Board which will hold officially the coordinating role in the strategic management of the property, as well as information concerning the management structures of each of the two components of the property. For the Italian part of the property, the “Convention of Monte San Giorgio”, established by the stakeholders for the first two years of the transboundary property, has been renewed in 2012. It is managed by the “Commission for planning and management of the Monte San Giorgio UNESCO site”. For the Swiss part, the “Foundation Monte San Giorgio” continues to operate.
Analysis and Conclusions of the World Heritage Centre and IUCN
The World Heritage Centre and the Advisory Bodies take note of the collaboration between the States Parties of Italy and Switzerland to ensure effective management of the transboundary property, and recommend to them to urgently ensure that the Transnational Board become operational as soon as possible for the effective conservation and management of this property. Following Decision 34 COM 8B.6, the State Party of Switzerland could also bring forward a boundary modification proposal.
Decision Adopted: 37 COM 7B.103
World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-13/37.COM/7B.Add,
2. Recalling Decisions 34 COM 8B.6, 35 COM 7B.42, 35 COM 7B.63, 35 COM 7B.67, 35 COM 7B.68, 35 COM 7B.69, 35 COM 7B.73, 35 COM 7B.88, 35 COM 7B.94, 35 COM 7B.98, 35 COM 7B.102, 35 COM 7B.106, 35 COM 7B.109, 35 COM 7B.122, 35 COM 7B.127, 35 COM 7B.128, 35 COM 7B.131 and 35 COM 7B.133 , adopted at its 34th (Brasilia, 2010) and 35th (UNESCO, 2011) sessions respectively,
3. Takes note with satisfaction of the measures taken by the States Parties concerned to address its previous requests to mitigate the threats on the Outstanding Universal Value of the following World Heritage properties :
4. Encourages the States Parties concerned to pursue their efforts to ensure the conservation of World Heritage properties;
5. Reminds the States Parties concerned to inform the World Heritage Centre in due course about any major development project which may affect the Outstanding Universal Value of a property, before any irreversible commitments are made, in line with Paragraph 172 of the Operational Guidelines .