The World Heritage Committee,
- Having examined Document WHC/16/40.COM/12,
- Recalling Decisions 35 COM 12B, 37 COM 13 and 39 COM 12 adopted at its 35th (UNESCO, 2011), 37th (Phnom Penh, 2013) and 39th (Bonn, 2015) sessions respectively,
- Reiterates its gratitude to the Government of Australia for their commitment and financial contribution in view of the development of a Policy document for a better implementation of the World Heritage Convention;
- Commends ICCROM for the preparation of the scoping study, in consultation with the World Heritage Centre, ICOMOS and IUCN;
- Decides to apply the two-phased approach for the preparation of a Policy Compendium as described in document WHC/16/40.COM/12;
- Requests the World Heritage Centre to assemble existing policies and to convene a geographically balanced working group of natural and cultural heritage experts and to inclusively involve other stakeholders such as ICOMOS, IUCN, ICCROM, Category 2 Centres and UNESCO Chairs, to review the collection of policies taking into account the views of Committee members through an appropriate consultation procedure;
- Also requests the World Heritage Centre to submit the first draft Policy Compendium, reviewed by the working group, as well as to report on the progress of work for examination to the World Heritage Committee at its 42nd session in 2018.