The World Heritage Committee,
1. Regrets that it was not informed at the time of inscription in 2000 that an earthquake had just taken place;
2. Acknowledging the recent efforts of the national authorities to address the issues of conservation at the property,;
3. Welcomes the newly signed Presidential Decree as an important step towards the legal protection and future safeguarding of the property;
4. Notes with concern the state of conservation of the property and expresses its deepest concerns over the considerable loss of authenticity due in part to the earthquake in 2000 and to the urban development pressures;
5. Decides to inscribe the Walled City of Baku with the Shirvanshah's Palace and Maiden Tower on the List of World Heritage in Danger due to the urgency of the situation and to ensure that concerted efforts by the State Party are made to halt ongoing demolition of historic buildings;
6. Requests the State Party to work in close collaboration with the World Heritage Centre, the UNESCO Cultural Heritage Division, ICOMOS and ICCROM, to set up a plan of action to address the issues mentioned above, and to jointly elaborate a comprehensive management and conservation plan and ensure the future preservation of the property;
7. Further requests the Secretariat, ICOMOS and ICCROM to provide a detailed report on the situation, including whether or not the outstanding universal value of the property is maintained, for examination by the World Heritage Committee at its 28th session in 2004.