The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined document WHC-08/32.COM/7B,
2. Expresses its concern at the potential impact of the Caltongate development;
3. Deeply regrets that the State Party has approved this scheme in June 2008 not complying with paragraph 172 of the Operational Guidelines;
4. Requests the State Party to invite a World Heritage Centre / ICOMOS joint Reactive Monitoring mission to the property to consider the overall state of conservation of the Old and New Towns, and particularly the impact of the Caltongate development on the integrity and Outstanding Universal Value of the World Heritage property, as well as the outline proposals for Leith Docks, the St James Centre, and other current proposals;
5. Also requests the State Party to submit to the World Heritage Centre, by 1 February 2009, a report on the state of conservation of the property, for examination by the World Heritage Committee at its 33rd session in 2009.