The World Heritage Committee,
1. Having examined Document WHC-08/32.COM/7A,
2. Recalling Decision 31 COM 7A.17, adopted at its 31st session (Christchurch, 2007),
3. Notes with great concern the continuing difficult situation in Iraq and deplores the loss of human lives;
4. Requests the State Party to take possible emergency measures to protect the eastern part of the property from the rising waters of the Tigris River and to undertake necessary maintenance and conservation work to avoid further damage;
5. Encourages the State Party, should the situation allow it, to implement the corrective measures identified:
a) relocation or cancellation of the dam project;
b) emergency excavations and protective measures against seepage;
c) establishment of a local management unit on the site;
d) preparation and implementation of a conservation and management plan;
e) protection and consolidation of fragile mud brick structures.
6. Reiterates its requests to the State Party to develop, in consultation with the World Heritage Centre and the Advisory Bodies, a draft Statement of Outstanding Universal Value including the conditions of integrity and authenticity, and a proposal for the Desired state of conservation for the removal of the property from the List of World Heritage in Danger, for examination by the World Heritage Committee at its 33rd session in 2009;
7. Calls upon the international community to assist; in every way possible, the State Party in the protection of this property, with the advice of ICOMOS;
8. Requests the State Party, should the situation allow, to invite a joint World Heritage Centre/ICOMOS Reactive Monitoring mission to Ashur;
9. Further requests the State Party to submit to the World Heritage Centre by 1 February 2009 an updated report for examination by the World Heritage Committee at its 33rd session in 2009;
10. Decides to retain Ashur (Qal'at Sherqat) (Iraq) on the List of World Heritage in Danger.