Alanya

Türkiye
Date de soumission : 25/02/2000
Critères: (iii)(iv)
Catégorie : Culturel
Soumis par :
Ministry of Culture
Coordonnées 36°32' N - 31°59' E Located on the southern coast of Turkey.
Ref.: 1405

Description

Alanya situated in the eastern part of the Gulf of Antalya is 137 kms away from Antalya by the main highway. The peninsula of Alanya surrounded by city walls was named "Karakesion" during the Hellenistic period went under the hegomany of Romans and Byzantines, followed by the Seljuks. The present name of the town comes from Alaaddin Keykubat, who did great service to the development of the town. Inside the Alanya castle there exist a Seljuk cistern, a Byzantine church, the Keykubat Sultan Palace and the ruins of a Seljuk bath, completed with the traditional urban texture. The castle extends down to the sea and encloses a medieval dockyard that is guarded by a 33 meter high octagonal tower of red stone and brick.