Fortress of S. Pedro da Barra

Angola
Date of Submission: 22/11/1996
Category: Cultural
Submitted by:
Ministerio da CulturaInstituto Nacional do Patrimonio Cultural
Coordinates: Province: Luanda (North of the Country)
Ref.: 922

Description

The Fortress of "S. Pedro da Barra", situated on the ancient "Morro de Kassandama", actually "Ngola Kiluange" quarter, in Luanda.

In 1663, the King of Portugal sent to raise a strong defence of the "Barra de Luanda". It means that although the Portress of "S. Pedro da Barra" has been founded in 1703, another more ancient fortress was built in same place to offer more solidity to the portuguese occupation and this went a long way to give a bigger protection to its economic benefits in the region.

For years, and when the incursions of the other colonial potencies were stopped, the Fortress of "S. Pedro da Barra" was used as a lodging of slaves in transit, arising from the Factories (Feitorias) of the "Sertao", and who were sent to the lands of "New World" (America).

It was classified as National Monument by Provincial Decret n. 1057, 10 of November of 1932.

It is badly preserved, on account of its successive functions (military and defensive). It is also a state property, and- the responsibility for its maintenance and preservation concerns the Ministry of Defence and the Ministry of Culture.