Aqueduct of Padre Tembleque
INAH/CONALMEX Puebla 95, Colonia Roma 06700 Mexico E-mail: email@example.com
The Secretariat of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and the World Heritage Centre do not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information or documentation provided by the States Parties to the World Heritage Convention to the Secretariat of UNESCO or to the World Heritage Centre.
The publication of any such advice, opinion, statement or other information documentation on the World Heritage Centre’s website and/or on working documents also does not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of UNESCO or of the World Heritage Centre concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its boundaries.
Property names are listed in the language in which they have been submitted by the State Party
Friar Francisco de Tembleque promoted construction of this amazing work of hydraulic engineering, which took place between 1553 and 1570. It is 45 kilometres long, and starts off at the hillside of the Tecajete volcano, located west of the town of Zempoala. It runs mostly at ground level, but in some areas goes underground, before finally reaching town of Otumba. Feeders supplying neighbouring regions were built at intervals. Three arcades clear hills and span gullies along with any other topographic unevenness the aqueduct may encounter along its way. The first arcade has 46 arches, the second one 13 and the third one 67. The latter is called "Main Arcade", and its construction took five years of unrelenting effort, reflected on each of its 1,020 meters, which run along the Papalote Ravine. According to the chronicles, a warship under full sail, and even Mexico City's Cathedral itself, could fit underneath its main arch, which is 38.75 meters high. Some of the aqueduct's terracotta pipes, embedded in stone masonry, can still be seen. A water collection structure of beautiful architecture has also survived. It is a large, square stone structure covered with a vaulted pyramid roof and crowned by a small stone cross. One of the special features of this aqueduct can be found in the intrados of the supporting arches. Seals, in fact inscriptions, were left behind by the indigenous workers, just as the guilds of masons did in the Middle Ages. Some of these inscriptions are of Pre-Hispanic origin, while others are Colonial designs.