World Heritage Convention 40th anniversary celebrations: Closing event
To conclude the 40th anniversary year, the World Heritage Centre and the Government of Japan will co-organize the "Closing Event of the Celebration of the 40th Anniversary of the World Heritage Convention" in Kyoto on 6-8 November 2012. This is made possible thanks to the generous contribution of the host government, directly as well as through the Japan Funds-in-Trust.
The event is to present to the world beyond the traditional World Heritage community the year’s activities and conclusions drawn from the regional and thematic events, which will have taken place throughout the year. Reflecting upon the founding spirit of the Convention, as well as its achievements and its evolution over the last forty years, the event is also expected to discuss the significance of the World Heritage today to humanity. The agenda is to include a series of panel discussions on some specific contemporary concerns, such as ‘World Heritage and sustainable social and economic development and sustainable tourism, with communities,’ ‘disaster prevention and recovery from disaster with communities,’ and ‘international cooperation and public and private partnerships.” Approximately 600 people are expected to participate. All the sessions are plenary.
In this occasion, results of two other activities commemorating the 40th anniversary will be presented. One is the one-off initiative of the Recognition of the Best Practices in World Heritage Management. The other is the launching of the book on World Heritage and Sustainable Development.
A youth programme is also scheduled, preceding the main event. The outcome of the youth programme will be shared at the main event.
8 November 2012, Press Conference
8 November 2012, Commemorative Presentations
7 November 2012, Session 5 (2)
7 November 2012, Session 5 (1)
7 November 2012, Session 4 (2)
7 November 2012, Session 4 (1)
6 November 2012, Session 3
6 November 2012, Session 2
6 November 2012, Press Conference
6 November 2012, Session 1
6 November 2012, Opening
- World Heritage Convention’s 40th anniversary celebration concludes and launches Kyoto Vision Thursday, November 8, 2012
- Gala performance by the Cuban National Ballet on the 40th anniversary of the World Heritage Convention Tuesday, November 6, 2012
- Reflection and future perspectives mark World Heritage Convention’s 40th anniversary closing event in Kyoto, Japan Tuesday, November 6, 2012
- Patrimonito Chinese Storyboard Competition 2012 Results Tuesday, August 21, 2012
- World Heritage Convention turns forty Monday, January 30, 2012
- Terra 2012: 11th International Conference on the Study and Conservation of Earthen Architecture Heritage Apr 22, 2012 - Apr 27, 2012