The Youth Model of the World Heritage Committee, to be held in Kazan from 1 to 9 July, is designed to attract the attention of young people of the States Parties to the World Heritage Convention to the problem of preservating natural and cultural heritage and to raise awareness of youth activities related to the Convention, its role and its international importance as well as procedures for making nominations to the World Heritage List.
The objectives of the session:
- Engage youth in the implementation of the Convention Concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage.
- Facilitate the identification, preservation and restoration of heritage sites in their countries.
- Exchange views, knowledge and experience in the field of World Heritage.
- Educate young people to care and respect heritage sites all over the world;
- Introduce young people to working methods of the World Heritage Committee.
The session will consist of plenary sessions, which will examine national nominations of World Heritage sites and address strategic questions about the future of the World Heritage Convention.
Teleconference with participants of the main meetings of the Session in St. Petersburg will be held in the framework of the Youth Model of the World Heritage Committee. At the final plenary session, the participants will summarize the session and adopt their decisions.
From 7 to 9 July 2012 representatives of World Heritage Committee will hold consultations with participants of the Youth Model of the World Heritage Committee, as part of the 36th session of UNESCO World Heritage Committee (Kazan – Bulgar – Sviyazhsk)
The consultation will be attended by two representatives (one boy and one girl) aged 20-25 from each country that is currently a member of the World Heritage Committee.
Working languages of the Forum: English, French, Russian.
Detailed information regarding the youth forum is available at: http://uf.tatar.ru/program/
For any additional information on this Initiative, please contact
Press Room of the 36th Session of the UNESCO World Heritage Committee