Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin

Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin

With 500 ha of parks and 150 buildings constructed between 1730 and 1916, Potsdam's complex of palaces and parks forms an artistic whole, whose eclectic nature reinforces its sense of uniqueness. It extends into the district of Berlin-Zehlendorf, with the palaces and parks lining the banks of the River Havel and Lake Glienicke. Voltaire stayed at the Sans-Souci Palace, built under Frederick II between 1745 and 1747.

Châteaux et parcs de Potsdam et Berlin

Avec ses 500 ha de parcs, ses 150 constructions édifiées entre 1730 et 1916, l'ensemble des châteaux et parcs de Potsdam constitue une entité artistique exceptionnelle dont le caractère éclectique renforce l'unicité. Cet ensemble est prolongé, dans le district de Berlin-Zehlendorf, par les châteaux et les parcs qui s'étendent sur les rives de la Havel et du lac de Glienicke. Voltaire séjourna dans le palais de Sans-Souci, construit sous Frédéric II entre 1745 et 1757.

قصور وحدائق بوتسدام وبرلين

إن مجموعة القصور والحدائق في بوتسدام التي تتألف من 500 هكتار و 150 مبنى تمّ تشييدها بين 1730 و 1916 تشكل كياناً فنياً استثنائياً يزيد طابعها النيّر من فرادتها. وكامتداد لهذه المجموعة الواقعة في منطقة برلين- زهليندورف، تأتي القصور والحدائق الواقعة على ضفاف الهافل وبحيرة غلينيكي. وقد سكن فولتير قصر (سان سوسي) الذي بناه فريديرك الثاني بين عامَي 5471و7571.

source: UNESCO/ERI

波兹坦与柏林的宫殿与庭园

拥有500公顷的公园和150座1730年至1916年期间的建筑物,波兹坦宫殿和庭园共同构成了一个艺术整体,其折衷性强化了其独特性。遗址一直延伸到柏林-采伦多夫区(Berlin-Zehlendorf),其间的宫殿和庭园把哈弗尔河(River Havel)和格列尼克湖(Lake Glienicke)连接起来。位于桑图谢-苏西宫殿(Sans-Souci Palace)的伏尔泰宫是1745年至1747年期间弗雷德里克二世(Frederick II)在位期间修建的。

source: UNESCO/ERI

Дворцы и парки Потсдама и Берлина

500 га парков и 150 сооружений, построенные между 1730 и 1916 гг. и составляющие дворцово-парковый комплекс Потсдама, представляют собой единое художественное целое, эклектичный характер которого еще более усиливает его уникальность. Комплекс продолжается в округе Берлин-Целендорф, где дворцы и парки располагаются вдоль берегов реки Хавель и озера Гленике. Во дворце Сан-Суси, построенном во времена правления Фридриха II в 1745-1747 гг., останавливался Вольтер.

source: UNESCO/ERI

Palacios y parques de Potsdam y Berlín

Las 500 hectáreas de parques y las 150 edificaciones palaciegas de Potsdam, construidas entre 1730 y 1916, forman un conjunto artístico cuyo eclecticismo contribuye a reforzar su singularidad. Este conjunto se extiende también por el distrito de Berlín-Zehlendorf, constelado de edificios y jardines situados a orillas del río Havel y el lago Glienicke. El filósofo francés Voltaire residió en uno de ellos, el Palacio de Sans-Souci, construido por orden de Federico II entre 1745 y 1747.

source: UNESCO/ERI

ポツダムとベルリンの宮殿群と公園群

source: NFUAJ

Paleizen en parken in Potsdam en Berlijn

Het complex van paleizen en parken in Potsdam vormt een artistiek geheel, waarvan het eclectische karakter het gevoel van uniciteit versterkt. Het strekt zich uit tot de wijk Berlijn-Zehlendorp, met de paleizen en parken langs de oevers van de Havel en het Glienicke meer. Het complex omvat 500 hectare en er zijn 150 gebouwen uit de periode 1730 en 1916. Onder het regime van Frederik II de Grote (1712-1786) is Potsdam radicaal veranderd, hij wilde het tot een Pruisisch Versailles maken. Voltaire verbleef in het paleis Sans-Souci, dat Frederik II tussen 1745 en 1747 liet bouwen.

Source: unesco.nl

  • English
  • French
  • Arabic
  • Chinese
  • Russian
  • Spanish
  • Japanese
  • Dutch
Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin © Silvan Rehfeld
Long Description

The ensemble of the chateaux and parks of Potsdam is an exceptional artistic achievement whose eclectic and evolutionary features reinforce its uniqueness: from Knobelsdorff to Schinkel and from Eyserbeck to Lenné, a series of architectural and landscaping masterpieces were built within a single space, illustrating opposing and reputedly irreconcilable styles without detracting from the harmony of a general composition, designed progressively over time.

Potsdam, mentioned first in the 10th century, acquired some importance when the Great Elector of Brandenburg, Frederick William (1620-88) established his residence there. Potsdam housed a small garrison from 1640 onwards; the site's military function was strengthened by the young Prussian monarchy.

Under Frederick II the Great (1712-86) Potsdam was radically changed. The new king wished to establish next to the garrison town and settlement colony of the 'Sergeant King' a 'Prussian Versailles', which was to be his main residence. In 1744 Frederick II ordered a vineyard to be planted on six terraces on the southern side of a hill, Bald Mountain. Sanssouci, a name which reflects the king's desire for intimacy and simplicity, translates the theme of a rustic villa into the marble, mirrors and gold of a Rococo-style palace.

Postdam-Sanssouci is the crystallization of a great number of influences from Italy, England, Flanders, Paris and Dresden. A synthesis of art trends in European cities and courts in the 18th century, the castle and the park offer new models that greatly influenced the development of the monumental arts and the organization of space east of the Oder. The one-storey palace included a rotunda with a projected axis and, on either side, a suite of five rooms. The east suite was the royal apartment; the west suite, guest rooms. The architect Georg Wenzeslaus von Knobelsdorff, for whom the king was both friend and patron, owed to Frederick II his training in Rome, Venice, Florence, Dresden and Paris. The iconographic programme evokes a winegrower's house; the southern facade was punctuated with 36 bacchantes by the sculptor Christian Glume. They are arranged as caryatids which support the cornice under the roofs of the wings and the cupola of the axial rotunda.

The 290 ha park was laid out around several buildings. Symmetrically flanking the castle to the east and west there were, first, the picture gallery and the old orangery, which was redesigned as a guest house in 1771-74. During this first stage a number of constructions were built, the most remarkable of which are Neptune Grotto, the last work by Knobelsdorff, which was begun during his lifetime but completed after his death, and the Chinese Tea House, built under the supervision of the architect Bering.

After the Seven Years War (1756-63) Frederick the Great ordered the construction of the New Palace, a huge Rococo-style construction with over 200 rooms, including the famous Shell Room. Other buildings were constructed in the park, including the Antique Temple, the Friendship Temple, Belvedere and the Dragon Pavilion. Frederick William IV (1795-1861) devoted himself to enlarging the park of Sanssouci; as Crown Prince he bought a domain to the south. He commissioned Karl-Friedrich Schinkel to build the small neoclassical Chateau of Charlottenhof and Peter Josef Lenné to design a romantic park. Lenné also designed the Sicilian Garden and the Nordic Garden, north of the Hauptallee. New constructions continued to be built until 1860. The orangery transposes the elevation of the Villa Medicis in Rome and the Friedenskirche that of the San Clemente Basilica.

The World Heritage site covers two other ensembles that include parks, chateaux and buildings, in the middle of which stands the Marble Palace, the king's summer residence built by C. von Gontard and fitted out by K. G. Langhaus. At the northern end of the park, the Chateau of Cecilienhof, a pastiche of an English cottage, was chosen in August 1945 as the site of the signing of the Potsdam Agreements.

Source: UNESCO/CLT/WHC
Historical Description

The Sacrow estate includes the 18th century seigneurial residence (converted from a 14th century castle), the Church of St Saviour, built to the designs of the architect Ludwig Persius in 1841-44, and the park, created for Friedrich Wilhelm IV of Prussia by Persius and the gardener Peter Joseph Lenne. This was integrated into the overall landscape of chateaux and gardens of Potsdam and Babelsberg, most of which survives relatively intact.

The estate stood until recently on the boundary between the former German Democratic Republic and the territory of West Berlin and was in consequence seriously neglected. Access to the church was prohibited and the building was abandoned. It was only following the intervention of the West Berlin authorities, strongly supported by the press, who demanded that restoration work be carried out and supplied the necessary funding, that work began to put at least the roof of the church into repair in 1981-82. Work is continuing in the interior of the church, the chateau and the gardens, under the management of the Berlin- Potsdam chateaux and parks administration.

Source: Advisory Body Evaluation