Jesuit Missions of the Guaranis: San Ignacio Mini, Santa Ana, Nuestra Señora de Loreto and Santa Maria Mayor (Argentina), Ruins of Sao Miguel das Missoes (Brazil)

Jesuit Missions of the Guaranis: San Ignacio Mini, Santa Ana, Nuestra Señora de Loreto and Santa Maria Mayor (Argentina), Ruins of Sao Miguel das Missoes (Brazil)

The ruins of São Miguel das Missões in Brazil, and those of San Ignacio Miní, Santa Ana, Nuestra Señora de Loreto and Santa María la Mayor in Argentina, lie at the heart of a tropical forest. They are the impressive remains of five Jesuit missions, built in the land of the Guaranis during the 17th and 18th centuries. Each is characterized by a specific layout and a different state of conservation.

Missions jésuites des Guaranis : San Ignacio Mini, Santa Ana, Nuestra Señora de Loreto et Santa Maria Mayor (Argentine), ruines de Sao Miguel das Missoes (Brésil)

Au cœur de la forêt tropicale, les ruines de São Miguel das Missoes, au Brésil, et celles de San Ignacio Mini, de Santa Ana, de Nuestra Señora de Loreto et de Santa Maria la Mayor, en Argentine, sont les remarquables vestiges de cinq missions jésuites édifiées aux XVIIe et XVIIIe siècles sur le territoire des Guaranis, chacune d’entre elles se caractérisant par ses dispositions particulières et un état de conservation inégal.

البعثات اليسوعية في غوارانيس: سان إغناسيو ميني، سانتا أنا، سيدة لوريتو، سانتا ماريا مايور (الأرجنتين) وآثار ساو ميغال داس ميسويس (البرازيل)

إن آثار ساو ميغال داس ميسويس في البرازيل وآثار سان إغناسيو ميني وسانتا أنا وسيدة لوريتو وسانتا ماريا مايور في الأرجنتين والتي تقع كلّها وسط الغابة الاستوائية هي آثار مذهلة لخمس بعثات يسوعيّة شُيّدت في القرنين السابع عشر والثامن عشر على أراضي غوارانيس وتتميّز كل واحدة منها بموقعها وبطريقة صيانتها الفريدة.

source: UNESCO/ERI

瓜拉尼人聚居地的耶稣会传教区:阿根廷的圣伊格纳西奥米尼、圣安娜、罗雷托圣母村和圣母玛利亚艾尔马约尔村遗迹以及巴西的圣米格尔杜斯米索纳斯遗迹

在热带雨林的中心地带,有五个引人注目的耶稣会传教区遗址,他们分别是:巴西的圣米格尔杜斯米索纳斯遗迹,阿根廷的圣伊格纳西奥米尼、圣安娜、罗雷托圣母村和圣母玛利亚艾尔马约尔村遗迹。他们建于17至18世纪的瓜拉尼人地区。各处遗址布局迥异,保护状况各不相同。

source: UNESCO/ERI

Иезуитские миссии на землях индейцев гуарани: Сан-Игнасио-Мини, Санта-Ана, Нуэстра-Сеньора-де-Лорето и Санта-Мария-ла-Майор (Аргентина); руины Сан-Мигел-дас-Мисойнс (Бразилия)

Руины Сан-Мигел-дас-Мисойнс в Бразилии, также как и Сан-Игнасио-Мини, Санта-Ана, Нуэстра-Сеньора-де-Лорето и Санта-Мария-ла-Майор в Аргентине, находятся в гуще тропического леса. Это впечатляющие остатки пяти иезуитских миссий, построенных на землях индейцев гуарани в течение XVII-XVIII вв. Каждая из них имеет специфическую планировку и различную степень сохранности.

source: UNESCO/ERI

Misiones jesuíticas de los guaraníes: San Ignacio Miní, Santa Ana, Nuestra Señora de Loreto y Santa María la Mayor (Argentina), ruinas de Sao Miguel das Missoes (Brasil)

En el corazón mismo de la selva tropical están ubicadas las ruinas de cinco misiones jesuitas: San Miguel de las Misiones (Brasil), San Ignacio Miní, Santa Ana, Nuestra Señora de Loreto y Santa María la Mayor (Argentina). Construidas en territorio guaraní durante los siglos XVII y XVIII, estas misiones se caracterizan por su trazado específico y su desigual estado de conservación.

source: UNESCO/ERI

グアラニーのイエズス会伝道施設群:サン・イグナシオ・ミニ、サンタ・アナ、ヌエストラ・セニョーラ・デ・ロレート、サンタ・マリア・ラ・マジョール(アルゼンチン)、サン・ミゲル・ダス・ミソオエス遺跡群(ブラジル)

source: NFUAJ

Jezuïtische missieposten van de Guarani

In het hart van een tropisch bos liggen de ruïnes van Sao Miguel das Missoes (Brazilië), San Ignacio Mini, Santa Ana, Nuestra Señora de Loreto en Santa Maria Mayor (Argentinië). Het zijn de indrukwekkende overblijfselen van vijf Jezuïtische missieposten die gebouwd werden op het land van de Guarani in de 17e en 18e eeuw. De Guarani nederzettingen zijn aangelegd volgens eenzelfde model; een groot plein met daaromheen de kerk, de woonplaats van de kerkvaders en de - qua afstand regelmatig verspreide - huizen van de Indianen. Toch is elke ruïne unieke vanwege z'n specifieke inrichting en staat van onderhoud.

Source: unesco.nl

  • English
  • French
  • Arabic
  • Chinese
  • Russian
  • Spanish
  • Japanese
  • Dutch
Ruins of the Jesuit reduction San Ignacio Mini, Church gate, Misiones Province, Argentina, South AmericaRuinen der Jesuitenreduktion San Ignacio Mini, Kirchentor, Misiones Provinz, Argentinien, Südamerika © M & G Therin-Weise
Long Description

The remains of these Jesuit missions are outstanding examples of a type of building and of an architectural ensemble which illustrate a significant period of the history of Argentina and Brazil. The ruins of Saõ Miguel das Missões in Brazil and those of San Ignacio Miní, Santa Ana, Nuestra Señora de Loreto and Santa María la Mayor in Argentina lie in the heart of a tropical forest. They are impressive remains of five Jesuit missions, built in the land of the Guaranis during the 17th and 18th centuries.

All these Guarani reducciones (settlements) are laid out on the same model: the church, the residence of the Fathers, and the regularly spaced houses of the Indians are laid out around a large square. However, each of the reducciones is characterized by a specific layout and a different state of conservation.

San Ignacio Miní, founded in 1611, was moved on two successive occasions, settling in its present site in 1696. It incorporates important monumental remains: churches, residence of the Fathers, schools. The ruins are accessible and in a relatively good state of preservation. It is the most eminent example of a reduccion preserved on Argentinean territory.

Santa Ana, founded in 1633 on the Sierra del Tape, was removed in 1638 to the bank of the Paraná river and once more to its present site, 45 km from Posadas. The ruins of the church, which are accessible by a monumental stairway, emerge from a forest site. It resisted pillage following the expulsion of the Jesuits in 1767.

Nuestra Señora de Loreto, founded in 1610, was moved in 1631 to its present site 53 km from Posadas. The mission included a printing-press. The church and the Fathers' house were built by Brother Bressanelli, as at San Ignacio Miní. The ruins of the Indian village have been partially cleared of vegetation

Santa María la Mayor, founded in 1626, was moved to its present site in 1633. Not far from the ruins of the church, important remains of the residence of the fathers are still standing.

Saõ Miguel, founded on the site of the Itaiaceco in 1632, was transferred first to Concepción, and then in 1687 to its present site on the banks of the Piratini. Of the village not one building remains intact; all that are visible are the foundations of the Fathers' residence, the school, and the walls of the cemetery, along with some vestiges of Indian habitations. In a site that is periodically invaded by vegetation are found the ruins of the church attributed to Father Gian Battista Primoli, a Jesuit architect of Milanese origins, well known for his work in Buenos Aires, Córdoba and Concepción. This Baroque church, finished in 1750, was ravaged 10 years by fire. It was restored in a rather summary manner during the years which preceded the definitive expulsion of the Jesuits in 1768.

Source: UNESCO/CLT/WHC